Button Spot hunt gives me a LARGE smile!

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
Hi and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
JohnyMc and I snuck out Friday evening to TnT2000's button spot. John has been coaching college lacrosse full time and hasn't gotten out too much lately. We both got a couple flat buttons and each got a nice cufflink. We were just ready to leave and I got a great signal at 3 inches. I almost dropped over when I saw this 1797 large cent. It is in awesome condition and is the first large cent that I could plainly identify.

Saturday morning TnT and I got right back there. No coins, but lots of buttons and what I think (from seeing posts on here) is a change purse of some sort. Any help ID'ing would be appreciated.
Thanks for looking and HH
Mark G

Attachments

• Obverse.jpg
    Obverse.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 4,405
  • Reverse.jpg
    Reverse.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 4,372
  • Links and Coin Case.jpg
    Links and Coin Case.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 4,404
  • Group Shot.jpg
    Group Shot.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 4,344
Upvote 0
Just amazing finds, I am drooling here.
That large cent is one of the best dug ones I have ever seen, ciongrats big time on that!
The change holder is such a cool relic. Too bad it wasn't filled with gold coins. WTG!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Fantastic job on the large cent. On the coin holder ,does it have a pattern on the case or is it just plain? Any markings on it?

Nice Large Cent.

Every "Purse" I found like that had those Pads in them.
I don't know if it's a Coin purse of a Make-up Case.
I'm leaning towards Make-up cases.
and that the powder was Below

gypsyheart said:
Fantastic job on the large cent. On the coin holder ,does it have a pattern on the case or is it just plain? Any markings on it?

Hi gypsyheart
The coin holder does have a design, but I don't see any words. Do you think I should use some brass cleaner or something on it? I think its brass and the clasp/button still works on it. My heart almost stopped as I opened it up.
Thanks for the reply.
Mark

jeff of pa said:
Nice Large Cent.

Every "Purse" I found like that had those Pads in them.
I don't know if it's a Coin purse of a Make-up Case.
I'm leaning towards Make-up cases.
and that the powder was Below

Hi Jeff
I thought it may be for make up, but the pads are different sizes. It looks perfect for two dimes and two nickles or two nickles and two pennies.
Who knows? I opened it and thought the pads were coins and almost fell over!
Thanks Jeff
Mark G

That beauty should be ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^UP THERE

oh, wow! that LC is in terrific condition, and I like the coin holder - can we see pix of the outside/ what it looks like closed?

Probably worth a few hundred bucks on ebay. I saw some today selling for over $100 that were VERY worn....

Wow...those are awesome finds :)

wow!!! :o :o good for you! i weould have lost it over a coin like that. just awesome!

now thats the Veal Parmisian !!! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back