button-back.gif
    89.4 KB · Views: 749
Upvote 0

Diamond Spike

Jan 26, 2005
Alabama
Does it have writing on the back?

I have one that looks like it, it says "New York button company N.Y."

Dont know value but i think its from World War2.

button
Diamond Spike

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one that looks like that. I'm thinking it was from WWII too....ask trk5capt...he usually knows about those buttons!

Congrats on your find!

;)

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they call it a Great Seal button, used on many different military uniforms from 1909 (i think) to the present, I found one about four months ago just like it, on the back mine reads "Rex Products Corp, New Rochelle, NY"

I have seen them listed on the internet with the same marking on the rear as mine for about 10-15 dollars, but that is with the gold plating still on it, I would say maybe up to $5....unfortunately mine has no plating left either

Attachments

• 11_21_05_finds (Large).jpg
    11_21_05_finds (Large).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 733
  • 11_21_05_finds (Large).jpg
    11_21_05_finds (Large).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 739
OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
It does have some writing on the back but I have not gotten it clan enough to make it out yet. Spike it looks to be bigger than the button you posted it is the size of a Quarter. It looks like it may be the same as yours though.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like one of the WWII Buttons , or WWI ...It's still a nice find.........Seeker

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Cool button, WTG!!!
I believe they are called,"Great Seal" buttons...
I'm not too sure but, I think one of the only ways to get a ideal about the date is going by the style, and the backmark.
Here is a pic of one that I found, but it is a little different design than both shown so far...
Eagle1.jpg

If you notice the one pictured here doesn't have them rim around the edge, but has the same design in the center.
This one is backmarked, " SCOVILLE MFG CO. WATERBURY CONN. ".
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
As trk5capt has schooled me, it's a Army button. First used in WW1 and also in WW2, am I correct John?? HH Art...What is the writing on the reverse??

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Thanks everyone got it cleaned up nice. From the info I have found it is a great seal general service button made some time between 1902 and 1910. This would make since because the area I was hunting had a gathering of around 3000 people in 1909. Here it is cleaned up a bit.

Attachments

• clean button.jpg
    clean button.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 639

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
I have dug a feww of these myself! Matter of fact, I liked one so much I used it for my avatar!

From what I can gather, these were most prevalant during WW1. I have not been able to find much about some of the manufacturers (Liebmann is one that just doesn't seem to come up anywhere). Most of mine have been dug at a local Fort that was a huge clearing house for soldiers during WW1. Check out this link for some info on my place:

http://nkyviews.com/campbell/fortt_soldiers.htm

Nice find and really good condition.

R

rvbvetter

The size of yours indicates it would have probably come off of an issued coat or over coat.
And ones I've seen before of your type were issued in early 1900's and for some years later.
Don't know the value but it can vary depending on the maker or distributer. Which wasn't always one in the same.
Very nice find!!! WTG!! HH

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a few of those..I took 1 and put it on a rag wheel with pumice.. it shined right up is it really gold? I found 3 dfferent kind of sizes to.dont ask me y i do these things like pumice but i get so darn bord!! :D

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Thanks every one this was my first military button find. It was on my to do list. I need a civil war button now. I have dug lots of silver coins and had 15 gold rings last year and lots of civil war relics bullets and such. But the buttons seem to get away from me some how. Glad to finally get a good one.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think those things are falling out of the sky...............

Attachments

• Eagle Button 1.jpg
    Eagle Button 1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 500
  • Eagle Button 1.jpg
    Eagle Button 1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 500

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread