Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got started this weekend with an end of day hunt on Thursday that yielded two buttons, one solid with shank button comp.jpg

and the other with back and shank missing IMG_6914.JPG IMG_6915.JPG . Also dug what appeared to be a live round but closer inspection reveals this to be a "toy" round bullet_comp.jpg

On Saturday I set out for the Eastern Shore of Maryland to a Club hunt on an undeveloped 5-acre parcel. The finds were scarce but still some older pieces were recovered by members; these included a portion to a shoe buckle frame, five flat button, one of which is tombac, a type-set letter, a KGII halfpenny and the large copper I dug toward the end of the hunt. Thus looked a lot better when it first came out of the ground. Only about 20% of the obverse is intact and only the "1" and "8" are readable in the date; revese is in decent shape though. IMG_6911.JPG .

On the way back home I stopped by a Baltimore City park and managed three wheats and this crucifix that range up an "11" on the Equinox 600. IMG_6918.JPG .

It looks like it was gold-plated in its original form. Got another signal in the hole and found the Jesus figure, a little bent but mostly there IMG_6920.JPG .

Got out late in the day today and got these two pieces:

an attendance pin IMG_6921.JPG and a button marked "Equpments Militaire" IMG_6926.JPG .

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Ihyn

Sep 11, 2018
Hedmark
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Equanox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent finds sounds fun doing a club hunt

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the first button have another hole on the opposite side of the shank? Can't tell from the pics.

If so it's quite early, and a good indication that you are on a promising site.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relics and old copper finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good eye, grasshopper! I noticed the hole after posting. Not far from that button I have found a KG coin and an LC. Problem is that the field is rarely mowed and swinging near where the button came from is almost impossible.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tommy! We have a Club hunt usually once a month. I paid two tolls and drove about 70 miles to get to the Saturday hunt.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good as always. I saved the world from aluminum this weekend, but did get a piece of an 18th century shoe buckle and some modern coins.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye, grasshopper! I noticed the hole after posting. Not far from that button I have found a KG coin and an LC. Problem is that the field is rarely mowed and swinging near where the button came from is almost impossible.
they're called blow hole buttons. I've read they date from the mid 1600s to mid 1700s, ball park.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks smokey! Nice shoe buckle frame you dug. My LC came late that day.

Farm Park keeps coughing up little gems now and then. Knew the button was old but didn't know about blowhole buttons until grasshopper's comment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread