Buttons, Buckles, coins from the mill - need ID help on a few!

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Hi all, just thought I would post some interesting finds from the mill. I also need help ID'ing a few of the items. Besides the hundreds of square nails, and miscellaneous iron objects, here are all of the keepers that my girlfriend and I have dug to date.

I've been hunting this particular mill site hard for a couple of weeks. I've posted a few of these in the past, but wanted to show the rest. So far I've found some nice cw buttons, a 1946 rosie, 1867 shield nickel, 1943 jefferson nickel, 1936 buffalo, pewter handle, pewter childs tea cup, and I found this nice buckle and very interesting button today. My girlfriend found some nice bottles - Large one on top reads Renne's Pain Killing Magic Oil, the medium sized one reads No. 1 Dr. Daniels Veterinary Colic Cure, no writing on the tiny one, but definitely hand blown. She also found this beautiful tiny pot. Looks to be copper, and most likely plated at one time. Not sure what it would have been used for, but it's really beautiful.

The large infantry cw button says Mintzer Phild on the back, the small one says extra quality. I know the Mintzer was produced from 1850's - 1870, but I was hoping someone could tell me more. I was hoping that someone could also give me a reference number from one of the books for each of the buttons. I never thought I would ever find cw buttons, so I don't own any books. Any info on either button would be appreciated.

The flat button is a one piece, on the back it reads Wellington & Waterloo with a really interesting mark on top. Anyone have any idea on this button? I can't find any info online. Lots of gilt still left on the back, no marks on the front. There is also more type above the word Wellington which I can't read.

The buckle - I'm guessing a belt buckle - is either copper or bronze, doesn't appear to be brass. No markings. From what I've researched, it looks to be late 1700's to mid 1800's, I can't seem to narrow it down any more. Anyone have any idea?

The A shaped buckle/clasp is a mystery. It's copper or bronze, it reads MADE ONLY BY POTTER & SMITH BOSTON, then there is a patent date on top of Nov 1870. Anyone know what this might be?

Thanks everyone for viewing, and thanks in advance for the ID help.

Richard

Attachments

• P&SBuckle.jpg
    P&SBuckle.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 427
  • P&SBuckle.jpg
    P&SBuckle.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 416
  • BUCKLE.jpg
    BUCKLE.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 413
  • MintzerFront.jpg
    MintzerFront.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 409
  • Milltotal!.jpg
    Milltotal!.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 424
  • QUALITYFRONT.jpg
    QUALITYFRONT.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 405
  • pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 432
  • cupbowl.jpg
    cupbowl.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 421
  • MINTZERBACK.jpg
    MINTZERBACK.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 411
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ruccello

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Sorry about the confusing order of the pics, somehow things got screwed up, and I forgot to post this Wellington & Waterloo button.

Richard

Attachments

• Wellington&Waterloo.jpg
    Wellington&Waterloo.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 395

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Richard,

Those are some fantastic finds...keep em coming.

:wink: RR

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You picked up some cool finds there bud! Keep it comming.

Steve

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Awesome finds buddy. Keep it going.. :) jgas

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
That is a nice buckle, looks like it was for a shoe. That pewter child's cup is nice also. I'd say that you are at a sight that ranges from the late 1700's to late 1800s (but what do I know). That's a lot of debris to sort out, and the more you work at it the better it will get :thumbsup: I would keep at it, even if other people have detected that sight. HH M

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the buckle is a type of "bat wing" buckle. i think there is a larger kind and a smaller one. i found one last year, i was told it was from the 1700's. great finds!!

dewinwa

Apr 23, 2008
Naples, Italy
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Whites DFX300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Richard nice finds. By the way the IH I found at the park with you was a 1906 not 1909. It actually cleaned up nice.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awsome find you have there I love hunting around the old mill sites always good stuff that just "pops" up :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ruccello

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Donovan, post that indian head, I want to see how it cleaned up. It was in great shape from what I can remember, definitely worthy of a post - I wish I could find one - hopefully it will happen soon.

Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread