BUTTONS/ETC. FROM OLD FARM

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these on an old farm here in the area that was built in the 1810s, it's probably about the oldest property in the county.

one button says "Standard colour" on the back, and the other has no mark/s but appears to be silver over-laid.

They appear to be from the early 1800s or (possibly Rev. war era).

Not too sure about the buckle.

Am also posting these in "what's it" to see if Buckram can help with the period/etc.

Attachments

• buttons 001.jpg
    buttons 001.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 452
  • buttons 002.jpg
    buttons 002.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 452
Upvote 0

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Sweet as always :o How do you go about choosing your spots ??? Looks like you consistantly find great stuff. Thanks

Ace Villav

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
acevillav said:
Sweet as always :o? How do you go about choosing your spots? ??? Looks like you consistantly find great stuff. Thanks

Ace Villav

Believe me, I find my share of "crap" too (a LOT more than I ever show) and I'd estimate that only 1 in 10 places produces good stuff that I hunt, but,

I specifically research most of the properties I hunt thru the county clerks office before asking to hunt the property/s. It's rgt around the corner from me, so, it makes it easy and convenient ;D

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
WOW, tho's are some great button finds Lonewolfe,I cant help now and if you don't get the information from the bord i have the Alberts Button book on the way so when i get it i'll check to see if they are listed,

GREAT RELICS, Keep posting the great finds.HH

T

tank

michigan is a whole state! minus the fed land and any off limits area it still leaves one heck of a lot of land! ;D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Lonewolfe!!!! Those are some great buttons!!

Short story......

I remember when I was a little girl, my Grandmother had a mason jar full of old buttons. And we would play a game called "Who's got the button"..... I don't know if it was a game that some of the other kids in our family had made up or if all kids played that game! :D

I sure wish I knew who got that jar of buttons! Who would have thought buttons would be so collectable!

Congrats on you GREAT finds! They are awesome!

;)

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey lonewolf I got a few buttons from an old cellar hole and they say standard colour treble gilt. and they are civil war military buttons. Thats all I know hope it helps a little

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking Relics Lonewolf

You have a Nice spot there.

Happy Hunting !
J E F F

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info bits, praise, and interest in these finds everyone,

I think they're pretty cool finds too!

I believe I'm going to have to break down, and buy Albert's button book myself here, especially since I've been accumulating lots of buttons over the yrs that I need/want to identify, and also since I've now found that I have a somewhat new found underlying interest in researching and collecting buttons!

I've already bought several coin books over the yrs to help myself become (to a semi pro degree) knowledgeable in the aspects of coin collecting/grading (along with the help of a long time friend in the coin business who has taught me a lot), and I've also bought several token books for reference in collecting/finding them, but now I have to get the?best button book out there too!

When I started this hobby 20 yrs back or so, my main interest in finds was coins, as I've collected them since a child, but, as time went & has gone on, I became more interested in old tokens, old relics, and older jewelry, and less interested in finding coins. Now I can add old buttons to the list as a main area of interest! I guess it's a never ending, and always somewhat changing thing with this hobby!

HH

Lonewolfe

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I know what you mean, lonewolf. Finding coins can be fun but for the most part, they're modern and only good for gas, batteries, a few accessories, and more research material.
I'd much rather have that cast iron train, the cap gun, the few tokens, CW relics, and such than a couple handfuls of mems, clad, and yes even a little silver-provided it's 20th century ;D.
HH and good luck on your sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread