Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how you know a rare find, from a cool find, from junk. So I think the best thing to do is ask!

There is some writing on the back side, but I cannot make it out.

Button 1.JPG Button 2.JPG Button 3.JPG

Upvote 1

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are Military buttons. First introduced in 1902 and called the Great Seal button. Still in use today, but most that are found are WWI or WWII vintage.

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are Military buttons. First introduced in 1902 and called the Great Seal button. Still in use today, but most that are found are WWI or WWII vintage.

Thanks Steve. I binged "Great Seal Button" and found this website with pictures. The wording on the backside has "Waterbury Button Co." and on one of the buttons I can make out the "bur", so I believe there is a match here. Thanks.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice buttons. Congratulations. Definitely cool!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Time-dating your "Great Seal" US Army button:
It has a raised rim encircling the emblem, so it is 1910-and-later. The Waterbury Button Co changed its name to Waterbury Companies (dropping the word "button") in 1943... so if your button's backmark does not have the word "button" it is from 1910-1943.

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time-dating your "Great Seal" US Army button:
It has a raised rim encircling the emblem, so it is 1910-and-later. The Waterbury Button Co changed its name to Waterbury Companies (dropping the word "button") in 1943... so if your button's backmark does not have the word "button" it is from 1910-1943.

Thanks for the info. I am trying to see exactly what the backmark is, but the corrosion is pretty bad. Funny, I was surfing through the "What Is It?" forum and saw you commented on another post of someone (Beez0404) finding the same type button. His had the black finish, and I don't think mine did; at least I can't tell if it did anyway. So maybe mine is between 1923 and 1943.

Another thing about mine is. I found them in the same hunt, but I found the second one a good 30' from the first one. When I dug it I thought "figure the odds"...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread