Buttons, Silver coins and a First!

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I took my buddy Wes out to a field I was recently given permission to hunt. I've been out there a couple times and found a few keepers and we were hoping to find a few more today. The day started off hot with a 1940 Silver Washington quarter after about 10 mins of hunting. Pulled up a few flat buttons and then a while later I got a good 11-45 signal on the E-trac. Dug down about 4 inches and out popped the 1926 Merc! About 30 mins after that I got a sweet sounding 11-37 at 4 inches. Thought for sure I was going to pull up a zinc penny, but to my surprise I popped out my first 2 cent piece. The pictures don't show the detail very well and its hidden somewhat by years of sitting in a fertilized field, but it's an 1864 2 cent piece. This one got me excited!!! You just don't see too many of them. Then just before we left I found my fifth and final flat button of the day. Says, "BENEDICT & COE" "BEST D. GILT" on the back. Also found a cut round ball on the day. Pretty successful hunting today! I felt bad today as the host of the hunt as Wes didn't make it outta the field with much to brag about. I stole all the loot before he could get to it. Sorry Wes! I'll let you find the goods next time!

Happy Hunting everyone!

-Nate

Attachments

• 11-30-11Group.jpg
    11-30-11Group.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,253
  • 11-30-11button.jpg
    11-30-11button.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,295
  • 11-30-11coins.jpg
    11-30-11coins.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,346
Upvote 0
That's a nice one. Congrats :headbang: I'm still hunting for my first 2 cent piece.

At the rate your going, your bound to run into a small cache one of these days. I bet if your nice to the farmer and show him what you've found he may let you hunt the yard around the house. I bet that would be a coin bonanza! Congrats on your finds. :icon_pirat:

stringplucker said:
At the rate your going, your bound to run into a small cache one of these days. I bet if your nice to the farmer and show him what you've found he may let you hunt the yard around the house. I bet that would be a coin bonanza! Congrats on your finds. :icon_pirat:

That's a good thought. Sorry I stole your Merc buddy. There could be another one out there though.

Congrats on the finds and that button back was certainly BEST GILT!!! WTG A lot of gold there buddy!

Getty said:
Congrats on the finds and that button back was certainly BEST GILT!!! WTG A lot of gold there buddy!

Thanks! I was surprised to see all the shine when I flipped the button over. That's the one I ended the day on. Thanks for looking!

sweet 2 center!! MR TUFF

Cool finds! FYI it is "Benedict and Coe" on the back of the button. Israel Coe/Aaron Benedict partnered in Waterbury from 1829-1834.

grasshopper said:
Cool finds! FYI it is "Benedict and Coe" on the back of the button. Israel Coe/Aaron Benedict partnered in Waterbury from 1829-1834.

Thanks for the help on the button. I wasn't sure if it was COR, COH, COB ETC...Didn't see it as an E. I appreciate it!

dirtdigger1581 said:
grasshopper said:

Thanks for the help on the button. I wasn't sure if it was COR, COH, COB ETC...Didn't see it as an E. I appreciate it!

no problem. i actually found one very similar 2 days ago.

Attachments

• 2011-11-29_17-23-19_997.jpg
    2011-11-29_17-23-19_997.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 514
  • 2011-11-29_17-23-19_997.jpg
    2011-11-29_17-23-19_997.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 514
grasshopper said:
dirtdigger1581 said:
grasshopper said:

no problem. i actually found one very similar 2 days ago.

Nice! Any idea what the different Gilt descriptions mean?

Nate indeed took me to school on this day. My T2 SE had nothing for me in this field and once again the Etrac put me to shame. I walked away with nothing but brass scraps and a spoon with U.S.N. marked on it. I am assuming it means the Untied States Navy. Anyway, I will manage to get Nate's golden horseshoe oneday. He is on fire as of late :blob8:

Reverse on the quarter . where it reads Quarter.. Looks like a possible mis-strike..Nice hunt

AAAAAahhhhh....The 2-center club! ATA-BOY on the first and way to go on the great hunt.
I've been lucky enough to pull up a handfull of 2-centers in the past.

Attachments

• img_2335.jpg
    img_2335.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 528
Wes-N-VA said:
Nate indeed took me to school on this day. My T2 SE had nothing for me in this field and once again the Etrac put me to shame. I walked away with nothing but brass scraps and a spoon with U.S.N. marked on it. I am assuming it means the Untied States Navy. Anyway, I will manage to get Nate's golden horseshoe oneday. He is on fire as of late :blob8:

Wes, one of these outings soon enough you're gonna get your turn to whoop me. And it'll be to the tune of a couple plates and a GW button. Or something like that. The golden horseshoe is bound to run out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back