Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Folks, it was a beautiful sunny 65 degree day here in NC, so I went back to the early 1900’s house that I’ve been pecking away at. I think this was my 5[SUP]th[/SUP] or 6[SUP]th[/SUP] visit? :icon_scratch: The ground in some areas was still frozen, so those targets had me standing on my shovel and wiggling back and forth like it was a pogo stick to get to them. NOT pretty sight. :tongue3:

One of my very first signals was a large round green patina item which I was hoping was finally a Large Cent. Again, it was not to be. It turned out to be an Excelsior Shoe medallion dated July, 1910. Sorry, I forgot to take a shot of the other side. I now have it soaking in olive oil to try to get rid of the stubborn crud. Hot peroxide didn’t work.

My other notable finds were:

*(4) Four General Service Eagle buttons with shanks. Two 30mm coat size and two cuffs.
City Button Works, NY” back marks. All were found in a 3’ diameter area.

*Seagram’s medallion – “80 years of Leadershipon the front.
Since Seagram’s was founded in 1857, I figure this piece was made in about 1937.

*1906 Indian Head penny

* Louisiana “5 – Luxury Tax” token
This will be BuckleBoy and Digger Girl's wedding gift. :laughing7:

*Misc: Harmonica reeds, Keys, Straightening comb, Large buckle, 1976 Vaccine tag, Cosmetic compact piece w/design.

Not a bad day at all. :thumbsup:

***Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention. I made it on the front cover of the current MARCH issue of Western and Eastern Treasures magazine, so if you need something to scare the critters away, pick up a copy. Quindy and myself both have stories in this issue for your bathroom reading pleasure. :tongue3: ***

Thanks for l@@king,
MM

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 0314COV.jpg
    0314COV.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Upvote 15

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Those are some really neat finds. I like the buttons and the Excelsior shoe token.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of good finds MM!! I know you are dying to dig a CW era eagle button again but the Great Seal buttons are nice as well. Some soldier who fought in WW1 or WW2 and wore them may have died in the service of our country. WTG, Q.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some really neat finds. I like the buttons and the Excelsior shoe token.

Me too Dman. That Seagram's piece was pretty neat too. I dug one of those Excelsior Shoe many years ago. They always fool me. :laughing7:
-DUG-

Last edited:
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good finds MM!! I know you are dying to dig a CW era eagle button again but the Great Seal buttons are nice as well. Some soldier who fought in WW1 or WW2 and wore them may have died in the service of our country. WTG, Q.

You got that right Q. I need a CW relic fix bad. I started wondering if I was going to find all the buttons off of that uniform because they were in such a confined area, but only got four. Four is better than one though. :thumbsup:
Good luck this week,
Your Yankee Son :tongue3:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coat had to be discarded with that many buttons. Great hunt and cold ground. Am I seeing a trend with the relic towels?:tongue3:
Congratulations on making the cover of W&E. I am thankful they did away with the center fold!
Thanks for sharing MM
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coat had to be discarded with that many buttons. Great hunt and cold ground. Am I seeing a trend with the relic towels?:tongue3:
Congratulations on making the cover of W&E. I am thankful they did away with the center fold!
Thanks for sharing MM
HH
TnMtns

LMAO!!! Yeah, Quindy ruined it for the rest of us that wanted to be in a center fold. I think they referred to his photo as "many folds" due to hid girth. :tongue3:
As far as those towels, I had some made up years ago and sent them to some of my good buddies. There is the "Treasure Towel" and the "Relic Rag". I sent Quindy the bright orange one so he and Dman don't get mistaken as deer by the hunters. :laughing7:
Hoping to get back out again this week. :thumbsup:
Have a great week,
Doug

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats!

You weren't the only one out there entertaining the public trying to retrieve finds from a frozen and less than cooperative ground!

Nice treasure towel you've got! Looking forward to reading the articles and seeing the pics.

I'll take that issue with me in the field and let you know if it scares anything or not, I have my digging tool just in case.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats!

You weren't the only one out there entertaining the public trying to retrieve finds from a frozen and less than cooperative ground!

Nice treasure towel you've got! Looking forward to reading the articles and seeing the pics.

I'll take that issue with me in the field and let you know if it scares anything or not, I have my digging tool just in case.

LOL. Well at least if it doesn't scare the critters away while you are out in the field you still have your digger with you so you can give it a decent burial. :laughing7:
Thanks for l@@king MsBB,
MM

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go on MORE GOODIES from the Yard of Plenty. :thumbsup: I'm still lovin' this spot. What does the back of the relief piece look like and what are the measurements. You know I enjoy a good 'figuring out mystery', and why do you think it is a compact; does it open?

Congrats again on making the cover of W&ET! :notworthy:

:)
Breezie

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on MORE GOODIES from the Yard of Plenty. :thumbsup: I'm still lovin' this spot. What does the back of the relief piece look like and what are the measurements. You know I enjoy a good 'figuring out mystery', and why do you think it is a compact; does it open?

Congrats again on making the cover of W&ET! :notworthy:

:)
Breezie

Thanks Breezie. I was thinking cosmetic compact but maybe it's something else? :icon_scratch: I always tend to throw any of these round or rectangular thin copper pieces into the "cosmetic compact" category. :laughing7: I had dug the back portion of it too, but it was basically in pieces.
I'm currently working on another spot down down the road that was an early 1900's house used as a school. The owners live out of state so I just sent off info about myself and my hobby to them today. Wish me luck. Although I really miss digging CW relics, these old houses are a lot of fun too. Great variety of relics at least.
-Doug-

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dug, I mean doug, really like those tokens bud, ya know I'm a fool for old tokens:tongue3: And is that a metal comb? I found one similar a while back. Looks like that's the spot that keeps on giving....so keep pounding it!

P.S. I always enjoy your sense of humor in your posts.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm liking all those finds, especially you on the Pogo shovel, ha lol.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dug, I mean doug, really like those tokens bud, ya know I'm a fool for old tokens:tongue3: And is that a metal comb? I found one similar a while back. Looks like that's the spot that keeps on giving....so keep pounding it!

P.S. I always enjoy your sense of humor in your posts.

Thanks Buddy. You're a fool for old tokens, and I'm a token fool. :tongue3: Ya gotta have a sense of humor in life. We weren't born with good looks, so being able to laugh is a must. :laughing7:
That's the third brass hair straightening comb I've dug there. The first one was junk, the second one was in great condition, and this one is somewhere in between.
Breezie sent me a great link that told about the black lady that invented the comb along with other beauty products and became very wealthy. No, it wasn't Oprah. :tongue3:
The property I am digging at has been in the same black families name since the house was built in the early 1900's.
It's been a great spot and has turned up a lot of neat relics.
I'll PM you that link that Breezie found for me.
-Dug-Doug-guoD (That's "Doug" if you hold it to a mirror)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm liking all those finds, especially you on the Pogo shovel, ha lol.

Thank God those Predator shovels are built strong or I may have been wearing it like a popsicle. :tongue3:
Thanks TH. :thumbsup:

-Dug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds Doug. Congrats for making the cover of the MAY issue, i am still waiting for my March and April magazines. LOL.

Mike,
Sorry, my bad. It is the current MARCH issue, not May. I made the correction above. Thanks for catching that. :thumbsup: I'm still waiting for my March issue too. :laughing7:
Thanks for the reply,
Doug

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Doug! I really like the shoe token. Congrats on the magazine cover!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread