Buulding my own?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Here I GO again.
I am thinking about building my own Treasure Hunting water craft just for rivers and not for open water. I have mentioned this before (somewhere) :o.
I was thinking about putting 2 jon boats together and then covering them with 2 sheets of plywood as the working deck.
I would attach the plywood by first using aluminum channel with holes drilled to be able to put stainless steel bolts thru the plywwod and the channel and then thru the boat railings. This can make it possible to move the boats with one on top of the other with the plywood strapped over the boats. You can assemble the units at the launch site in very little time. I was also thinking of making a foam insert for the jon boats to make sure the thing does not sink. ::)
Of course this craft is only to be used for rivers and not for open water :o
The boats I am looking at are 12 feet long each.
Does anyone have any ideas that will make this concept any better?
Thanks
Peg Leg

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Building my own?

I would just buy a used pontoon boat. You should be able to find a good deal if you look around. Just clear the deck of any unecesssary seats, chairs etc.. so you have an open work space.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I think I would also look for the Pontoon Boat. They tend to sit a little higher in the water to handle at least a little wave action and would be a more stable platform to work from. You could find a decent used Pontoon boat that could be stripped for under $1500 with trailer if you look. Especially this time of year.

But as rssharpetx has shown, dual Jon Boats are doable!

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Hey Peg,
Sometimes you can find a sweet deal from this site for small craft / pontoons/ floatings docks / dredges etc. everything bid for is as is and of course you have to go pick up.. just a thought
www.govliquidation.com
Jimi

rssharpetx

Sep 6, 2006
totally agree with pontoon......... as long as you have a boat ramp available. I usually get stuck with survey area were no launching ramp etc.

Regards

S

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Pontoon Boat, or just the pontoons.

Load it all in the back of the truck.
That way you can assemble it at location,
(in the water if need be), without
the need for a ramp area. Would also
beat hauling around two jon boats.

Post some photos if you ever get it done.

have a good un..............

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
My Son-In-Law builds and designs Foam construction. He said that it would be easier and cheaper to build the pontons from foam and cover them with fiberglass.
He said that he can do this type work and will do it for FREE. All I have to do is buy the material.
You cannot beat this deal. How all I have to do is find out the cost of the material.
Thanks guys
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Well it seems that I have located just what I need.
It is a used ponton work boat with an enclosed cabin.
We are dickering on the price but he will take $1ooo, and include a trailer.
Peg Leg

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you cold just use 55 gallon drums modified to support a work deck. if you have a low-boy to haul it on, you could save yourself the expense of wasting two john boats. you make a transom for it. this wouldn't be a high speed type craft anyway would it? sorry if it sounds kinda lame, but, i am into buiding and welding my own stuff. just my thought, GL and HH

of course the GW factor will be low and you probablywon't pick up the ladies on it......

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Great idea except for the cost of the LowBoy to transport the rig. I could use 55 gallon plastic drums but the assemble time would be a problem.
Thanks
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions