Buy (Chinese) vs. Build jaw crusher and ball mill

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know this conversation has got well away from the original question from rock crushers into welders.
#1 before anyone wastes their bucks on a welder here's a secret. It's not as easy as You tube makes it look.
That's why it's called a skilled worker craft. And BTW cost me near $40/hr if I remember.
Just like a woodworker has to butcher a lot of wood to be any good, a welder has to burn a bunch of steel.
I've known a few good welders and a whole bunch of crappy ones.
Take a class or two and save yourself some grief.

I carry AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Certifications in both SMAW and FCAW. All positions, both groove and fillet.

This is why I made the recommendations I did.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I carry AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Certifications in both SMAW and FCAW. All positions, both groove and fillet.

This is why I made the recommendations I did.
...So it doesn't impress you that I wore out my Harbor Freight buzz box welder?? :tongue3: :laughing7:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...So it doesn't impress you that I wore out my Harbor Freight buzz box welder?? :tongue3: :laughing7:

You made me laugh at that one.

Being a certified welder is part of being a TRUE millwright. As a millwright, you NEVER stop learning. That is probably the biggest thing I love about my job. Just when you think you have it all figured out, along comes a problem that doesn't fit any "normal" situation.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyway, back on topic.

In building a jaw crusher, it would probably be a good idea to design it so the walls and jaws could be lined with AR500 plate. Even 1/4" AR500 plate would last a long time on the walls in this application. If I had a choice, the jaw liners would be made out of manganese steel. We use the manganese steel liners here in our big boy toys. One crusher runs 7000 tons an hour 24/7 for 90 days before replacement. They are expensive but for our purposes they would be a buy once for a lifetime unless they get broken.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyway, back on topic.

In building a jaw crusher, it would probably be a good idea to design it so the walls and jaws could be lined with AR500 plate. Even 1/4" AR500 plate would last a long time on the walls in this application. If I had a choice, the jaw liners would be made out of manganese steel. We use the manganese steel liners here in our big boy toys. One crusher runs 7000 tons an hour 24/7 for 90 days before replacement. They are expensive but for our purposes they would be a buy once for a lifetime unless they get broken.

I agree. Better to build it solid to start instead of having parts wear out or causing other damage down the line.

I might have to wait a little bit on a crusher. I just ordered one of these today with the scope and 29" barrel.

https://barrett.net/firearms/model82a1

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Planning to "reach out and touch someone"?? :laughing7:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree. Better to build it solid to start instead of having parts wear out or causing other damage down the line.

I might have to wait a little bit on a crusher. I just ordered one of these today with the scope and 29" barrel.

https://barrett.net/firearms/model82a1

I had one. I'm not recoil sensitive but I can tell you your shoulder is going to hate you. I'm "downgrading" to a .338 Lapua.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread