XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they say gold going to 3.000.00 an oz

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A; This statement has nothing to do with the post. B; This statement is not based in reality but it is a fanciful line of propaganda. C; Politics and discussions are completely forbidden here, this statement could get a vacation.. time for a retraction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, the chance of silver doubling from here is greater than gold, but not by a lot? Silver was double the price a while back, gold was close to double too, I think?

But I like silver !

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using rough estimates I believe gold's high a few years back was only $1950. That is only roughly a 44% increase from today's spot. I'm no expert on the subject, but silver did reach a high of almost $49 in April of 2011.. being a 130% increase from today's prices.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using rough estimates I believe gold's high a few years back was only $1950. That is only roughly a 44% increase from today's spot. I'm no expert on the subject, but silver did reach a high of almost $49 in April of 2011.. being a 130% increase from today's prices.

Sounds right, I couldn't remember where gold hit. So I stand by my statement, silver has the slight edge over gold .lolol

That doesn't absolve any of us from our duty to go out and try to find all the gold we can find! (silver is still a nice third place find, platinum being first or second, depending on the fickle market)

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver/gold ratio is pretty high right now; around 65 to one, and historically it's been much lower. There's a lot to be said in favor of silver too, in that it's also an industrial metal that's consumed rather than hoarded.

That said, gold has a "fear factor" that silver mostly lacks.

The Ukraine, Japan v. China, the Middle East, a currency collapse triggered perhaps by a derivative catastrophe - all of these could spike gold, whereas silver might be hurt by any resulting industrial downturn.

I'd say buy both, and am over-weighted in silver myself. Think how long you have left to live - 30, 40, 50 years? - and then think what a dollar bought you that much time ago. Will the dollar be stronger going forward? One or the other may be the better investment, but either one is better than keeping your wealth in dollars.

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Best bet is to never advise anyone especially co-workers on investments. Good way to make enemies.
Pure speculation. Most millionaires invested in real estate.
What fools these mortals be....puck

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best bet is to never advise anyone especially co-workers on investments. Good way to make enemies. Pure speculation. Most millionaires invested in real estate. What fools these mortals be....puck
Absolutely true, not fun though. Although you can get an ounce of gold or about 65 ounces of silver for well less than an acre of land it really is speculation. And I feel sorry for the people who jumped in at 45$ or 1800 $. I don't like to tell anybody what they should invest in however. They might wind up liking me less then Hvacker does. lol

Last edited:

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still invested in real estate, but not as keen on it as I once was. Raw land is tricky to buy and costly to hold, and tenants are problematic to say the least. Bad ones are bad, of course, but even good ones can be a bit of a hassle. After a while they can turn into almost relatives: they take good care of your property, and you grow to like and trust them, but you feel you have to cut them some slack or help them out, or even just hang on to the place longer than you'd like.

Have you noticed the crazy prices in the fine art market? I think it's caused by the truly rich trying to get out of their fiat as much as anything else. The higher the price, the more the transaction makes sense for them.

For the rest of us, PMs may be a sensible option.

Last edited:

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The silver/gold ratio is pretty high right now; around 65 to one, and historically it's been much lower. There's a lot to be said in favor of silver too, in that it's also an industrial metal that's consumed rather than hoarded. That said, gold has a "fear factor" that silver mostly lacks. The Ukraine, Japan v. China, the Middle East, a currency collapse triggered perhaps by a derivative catastrophe - all of these could spike gold, whereas silver might be hurt by any resulting industrial downturn. I'd say buy both, and am over-weighted in silver myself. Think how long you have left to live - 30, 40, 50 years? - and then think what a dollar bought you that much time ago. Will the dollar be stronger going forward? One or the other may be the better investment, but either one is better than keeping your wealth in dollars.

I totally agree, and silver is a lot easier on the pocketbook to buy a few ounces now and then to stash away.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still invested in real estate, but not as keen on it as I once was. Raw land is tricky to buy and costly to hold, and tenants are problematic to say the least. Bad ones are bad, of course, but even good ones can be a bit of a hassle. After a while they can turn into almost relatives: they take good care of your property, and you grow to like and trust them, but you feel you have to cut them some slack or help them out, or even just hang on to the place longer than you'd like. Have you noticed the crazy prices in the fine art market? I think it's caused by the truly rich trying to get out of their fiat as much as anything else. The higher the price, the more the transaction makes sense for them. For the rest of us, PMs may be a sensible option.

It really is tough, there are so many things now that can ruin you day with land and rentals. When you look around here raw land is still expensive, the downturn did't bring the price down to what I feel should be the normal price range. And every time you turn around a new fee or tax is levied because individual landowners are the first source of gov income.

And then there are tenants, most are great, but now and then you have a nightmare.

Real Estate was a no brainer when easy money caused the prices to skyrocket. But I am not sure that the real bottom has been seen here yet. Not until some serious changes have been made. Here is part of our problem.

Bid to replace Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac gets a needed push - The Washington Post

[h=1]"Bid to replace Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac gets a needed push[/h]

[h=3]By Editorial Board, Published: March 13[/h]
HOUSING FINANCE reform, the great unfinished business of the financial crisis, got a push forward Tuesday from the top Democrat and top Republican on the Senate banking committee. Chairman Tim Johnson (D-S.D.) and ranking member Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) put forward a proposal to replace Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which currently back three-fifths of all new home loans.
Instead of those two government-sponsored mortgage guarantors, which have been under direct federal control since their collapse in 2008, a new federal entity would, in return for a fee, insure private-sector mortgage securitizers against catastrophic losses. The private companies would put up 10 cents of their own money for every dollar of risk, and the federal insurance would cover losses above that stake, using accumulated insurance fees. This is roughly the approach outlined last year by banking committee members Mark Warner (D-Va.) and Bob Corker (R-Tenn.); the Obama administration has signaled its support"

I think this proposal only scratches the surface of the real estate woes.

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it me or am I totally wrong!?
Lately, I've advised coworkers to invest in Silver, not Gold.
Personally, I can see Silver doubling in price, not Gold.
Today's spot prices; Silver=$21.00. Gold=$1300. (Per Ounce)
I easily see Silver doubling to $42 in the near future, but I doubt Gold will ever double to $2600?
Please advise...
Peace

Sell you're Gold and buy all the Silver you can.
Someone is going to flood the market with Gold.
It will happen before the end of next year's Summer.

You were warned.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great comments.
I believe silver prices to be low now. Approximately $20 per oz is, and will continue to be, the basic spot of silver. Soooo, I'm gonna buy buy buy. I doubt silver will ever again dip much below the $20 mark.
Gasoline seems to be a bargain when we purchase at $3 per gallon. I never see gas going below the $3 mark?
Sure, all is speculative, but prices are what they are and once dealers can command and receive a higher price for any product or commodity, costs never recede.
Peace

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm of the opinion that silver will return a better percentage on your money than gold in the next several years.
luvduc\x

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold's value will be hard to use as "money" in a collapse. Silver being of lower value will be easier to trade for a fair value in bartering. IMHO

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Historically the ratio of silver versus the gold price has been between 8 and 16 times....silver has way more demand at an industrial level than gold....do the math and you'll see that silver is a better value/buy.

Besides if we have a meltdown economically for whatever reason try cashing in an ounce of gold at the corner store to buy a loaf of bread or other staple.....me thinks silver has the edge.

Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread