Buying a Car

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Let me tell you how my wife negotiate the last deal we made.

1. Found car she wanted (we almost always look for Program cars, good deals, good cars usually, plus full warranty if done right)
2. Walked into the show room and told the man she wanted to buy said car
3. When offered to test drive she said "No, I just want the car" (we had already test driven the same car at a different dealership)
4. Sat down with the finance officer and said to him, "We are willing to pay $XXX.XX amount a month for the car, we want X.X% finance rate and we want to make XX months of payments."
5. Refused to deal, discuss or debate with them. When they came in and said they had the payment within $20.00 per month of what she stated she looked at him and politely told him again what her Max payment number was. He said that $20.00 wasn't that big a deal, just one pizza a month less, she thanked him and told him to have a nice day and got up and walked out the front door. Before we could get to our vehicle they had somehow managed to reduce the payment by $29.00 a month. Talking to someone at the dealership later found out that a certain finance company was kicking back a portion of the loan secured through the dealership. Would have made the dealership $1440.00 extra money they really didn't deserve over the life of the loan had we just said yes. I was really impressed with her.

GET YOUR OWN financing unless they have a 0% offer!!!!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
[bg=http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=175724.0;attach=326231;image]

I agree - get preapproved for a loan!

Never pay a "preparation" or "setup" fee.

Never pay a "advertisement" fee. (Chrysler has this...)

Never pay for undercarriage "undercoating".

You DO have to pay the "destination" fee.

Offer them the actual "build cost" of the auto plus a few hundred bucks... that should be good enough.

I built my truck on-line using MSN Carpoint? (I think - it was 10 years ago) and offered them the "build price plus 300 bucks") - They accepted the offer and built me the new truck. I saved over $7000.00 bucks from the "off-the-lot" sticker price.

[/bg]

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We bought a nice 1999 Honda for my daughter off of Craigslits,for less than $3k and I bought a nice 2006 Sion xb from Carmax,try these 2 places. :hello2: :headbang:

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Vibes: Decide what you want in the way of type, color, options, Then Email your request to EVERY dealer within 100 miles of your home. BEST OFFER GETS THE ORDER. This way you do not have to listet to all the BS from every salesman in the area. YOU ARE IN CONTROL not them.
Tips from a salesman on how to handle a salesman...... Good luck HH Gayle

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
rsc....where were you YESTERDAY? I bought the new ride!

But this is an EXCELLENT idea....as long as you've driven the car....no need to viait the dealership until it's a deal...beautiful!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of things I look at..
If it has unusually low miles, check the wear on the brake pedal. It could be a "roll back"(odometer).
If the person selling the car is a "sweet little old lady," check what stations are preset on the radio. It could be some irresponsible kid's mother trying to unload a problem car for him.
Not only check under the hood, but also check under the car. Look to see if there are any drips or puddles of fluids under the car. Also check the bottom of the oil pan for potential leaks.
Pull the front tires and look at the brake pads and rotors. These can be expensive to have to replace/repair once you've bought the car. Also, be sure that ALL lugs and nuts are present and accounted for.
Check the condition of the tires. Look for gouges or bad scrapes on the sidewalls. A flat tire with a sidewall leak CANNOT be repaired. We all know what tires cost!
While under the hood, check the condition of the belt. Is it frayed or have splits? Pull the dipstick (Jimmy!) and look at the color of the oil and the level. If you happen to see little specks of sparkles, (small metal shavings or flakes) it could be an indication of unusual engine wear. The oil should be a caramel brown color. The darker the color of the oil on the dipstick, the more the likelihood of a lack of proper routine maintenance and care.
Remove the radiator cap(only if the car's engine is not hot!), and check the level of antifreeze. What color is the fluid? Does it have a "greasy" or "oily" look to it? If so, that could be an indication of engine trouble.

There's a few more things I look at, but this should be a good start, with all the other info posted by others previously.

Good Luck!

Scott

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
vibes said:
rsc....where were you YESTERDAY? I bought the new ride!

But this is an EXCELLENT idea....as long as you've driven the car....no need to viait the dealership until it's a deal...beautiful!

So what did ya get?

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Sorry for being a day late............Story of my life...LOL
So ..What did you buy? New/ previously owned? Tell us.So we can stalk you..LOL HH Gayle

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I hope you weren't hurt in the accident and what did you buy, Vibes? I had one word for your dillema, 'Chevrolet'. Ford makes an engine that won't quit, but can't make a transmission that will last. Chevrolet has the transmission and drive train part down pat, but it's iffy on the engine. 327's were great, IF you got a good one. Those 283's were pretty good too. I just realized you probably have no clue as to what I'm talkin about and it doesn't relate to your present situation. Maybe the best course is to 'wrap your a** in fiberglass' and buy a 'vette.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Well, after test driving numerous vehicles of all makes and models I decided to buy a 2010 Ford Escape, V-6 with leather interior:) She sure is purty ;D

I LOVE it.

Again, many thanks to all who offered their advice and insights into this buying process. I'm happy that I don't have to go thru this again for a LONG time (insert Ford jokes here) Ha!

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
vibes said:
Well, after test driving numerous vehicles of all makes and models I decided to buy a 2010 Ford Escape, V-6 with leather interior:) She sure is purty ;D

I LOVE it.

Again, many thanks to all who offered their advice and insights into this buying process. I'm happy that I don't have to go thru this again for a LONG time (insert Ford jokes here) Ha!

Found on road dead? ;D jk they're nice cars. I would have tried to talk you into a Mustang GT with drag pack option though.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
stefen said:
To purchase imported products further weakens our economy.

I'm actually needing to buy a car as well.

But I need a reliable station wagon.

Too bad the US car makers don't make one.

I'm leaning towards an early 2000's volvo.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
A pic of the new ride and the mud flaps I ordered:)

Attachments

• DSCF0071[1].JPG
    DSCF0071[1].JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 11462_1265840800281_1057590214_822099_727587_n.jpg
    11462_1265840800281_1057590214_822099_727587_n.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 183

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
If you want a car that will last and money isn't an issue I would go for honda accord or civic. If you want something affordable then you are on your on. The best advice i can give you is don't buy a GM product cause they suck big time. I have a 99 grand am that I've pour literally thousands of dollars into it even a new engine last year. Fords ain't too much better they probably break down just as much as GM. Only the Ford Focus is an half ass decent car that is reasonble enough to even be considered as a prospect. Toyota Camery is hand's down a way better car than anything Ford can put out. But honda accord is the top dog over-all in quality built and pricing.

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice ride Vibes. Uh, is that one of your detecting spots in the background???lol Lake effect will be moving in on you soon so get out there even if was only in the 30's today. HH.

Ed

Jun 30, 2009
Lost my faith in most cars a while back, new ones that is, still miss the 76 Malibu Classic though... :notworthy: I prefer a bicycle myself...

A good way to save money long term is by petrol costs, with a lower capacity engine and less metal. Me and the mizzuz are looking into another Skoda Fabia, 1.6l, about 50MPG and 0-60MPH quick as a wink! I had one for my company car for 2 years, tops!

Attachments

• 250px-Škoda_Fabia_II_BiColor.jpg
    250px-Škoda_Fabia_II_BiColor.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 57

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions