Buying a Jeep Today.. Dealer wants "Cash Only"???

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Buying a Jeep Today.. Dealer wants "Cash Only"???

OK.. small time car dealer... has less the 10 cars at a time.. called me later Thursday and said cash only.. ?? i said cashiers check too I would assume.. he paused and said yeah.. that would be OK.. well.. i ended up just getting cash.. it's not a ton of money a little over $4000.. great deal on the jeep.. I've had a few and my dad went thought a bunch too so I know then well enough.. it is just the cash only thing that bothers me.. Hell, I was luckily enough to buy my last two cars outright for a heck of a lot more then this... and wrote a check and still just walked out with the signed paperwork.. so... I am assuming it is because he is a small time dealer.. not setup to handle it.. and cash works best.. now.. I guess my question is.. since I am in Virginia.. do I open carry my Sig P226 into the shop?? ;-) or have a buddy ride shotgun.. literally.. ironically.. he had no problem taking a check to hold the jeep... I'm getting it way under book because the front fender was smashed... i had it checked.. all is well.. and low enough miles for the year... and..fits perfectly for the damage I do to them while out digging.. I'm just getting that funny feeling... "ahh come alone.. and bring cash".. ;-) Sure.. me and 20 of my 9MM buddies!!!

MB

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Re: Buying a Jeep Today.. Dealer wants "Cash Only"???

Being in the business.............We only take bank checks or cash, prefer the bank check so we dont have the cash laying around. We are not a small dealer. The reason being is you don't have to wait 5-10 days for the check to clear and have your funds readily available to buy more vehicles. Funny we now even request bank checks from other dealers with todays economy, don't want to take any chances.

Sounds like a good deal on the Jeep. Just get a bank check and you won't have any worries. Good luck with it, and have fun!

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

COUNTRY GIRL said:
Being in the business.............We only take bank checks or cash, prefer the bank check so we dont have the cash laying around. We are not a small dealer. The reason being is you don't have to wait 5-10 days for the check to clear and have your funds readily available to buy more vehicles. Funny we now even request bank checks from other dealers with todays economy, don't want to take any chances.

Sounds like a good deal on the Jeep. Just get a bank check and you won't have any worries. Good luck with it, and have fun!

Country Girl,

Ok.. thanks for the response.. makes me feel a lot better!! I bought my last 4 cars from the same place.. and maybe just because of that i was able to write a personal check.. fill out the paperwork and I was out of there... everyplace is different.. and well.. with the economy I guess i can't blame him... but my logic is.. if you will take a check for $500 or $1000 for a deposit and cash it.. then why not a check for the rest?? Seems.. a little odd..

MB

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

I've bought cars in the old days and not only was it cash only it was hundreds preferred. Small timers buy from travelling wholesalers who don't have handy access to banks. Think your bank would cash a check for someone out of town or would it be a big hassle for the wholesalers? I've had my local bank refuse to cash my checks over the counter when i write them to my wife because her name wasn't on the account. That was a repeated refusal. I had to put her on the account but not give her any checks to write on the account to do what i was trying to do in the first place. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Re: Buying a Jeep Today.. Dealer wants "Cash Only"??? Done Deal!! All is well!

Typical practice these days I guess.. the times they are a changing... walked in... paperwork alll done.. signed.. paid.. and tested it well on the way home since it started icing a little!!

MB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread