Buying a metal detector

globalgrl

Greenie
Aug 19, 2010
hot springs village, ar
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
HI all,

What a wonderful forum I have stumbled upon. I see many hours of reading ahead!

I moved to AR a couple of years ago and I want to take up metal detecting. I haven't been here in 30 years but I did grow up nearby so I know lots of 'secret spots'.

Anyone who lives here knows about the quartz and how hard it is just to plant flowers, much less dig a hole. In the Ouachita forest area anyway.

So for a first time metal detector what does anyone recommend in AR? Not too cheap and not too expensive, a middle one?
I know that I can't go in the national forests so mainly ghost towns or just off road places.

I am interested in civil war stuff, old coins mostly but one of those KGC treasures will do also... :)

Thanks,
globalgrl

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a White's DFX, and love it, but have absolutely nothing to compare it to. Its the only machine I've ever used other than my Dad's hand-me-down way back when I was a kid in the late 70's/early 80's.

I have read a lot on this forum and others, and the general censensus seems to be that, for the money, a Garrett's Ace 250 is hard to beat.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
globalgrl

globalgrl

Greenie
Aug 19, 2010
hot springs village, ar
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
I have a White's DFX, and love it, but have absolutely nothing to compare it to. Its the only machine I've ever used other than my Dad's hand-me-down way back when I was a kid in the late 70's/early 80's.

I have read a lot on this forum and others, and the general censensus seems to be that, for the money, a Garrett's Ace 250 is hard to beat.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much, Arkie Bass Man! I am excited to go out but can't tear myself away from these forums!
I have another question which I am going to post as a separate topic so that I might get more replies but I hope it is not too dumb!
I spend all weekends boating and camping on the islands at Lake Ouachita and wonder if I can metal detect on the islands or if it might be illegal/and/or nothing to find.

globalgrl

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey globalgrl...an Ace 250 is a hard detector to beat...got lots of features that cost on other detectors...got pinpoint, 5 modes of hunting.....custom program....relic....coin...jewelry....there is a Fisher that has the same features and cost big$$$ but the Ace is only around $200-240 depending on where you buy it....I have had one for almost 2 years and I am thrilled to be able to use it....found lots of good stuff and it is easy to learn...comes with a dvd and excellent instructions .....well worth the money and lightweight too.... see ya later.

OP
OP
globalgrl

globalgrl

Greenie
Aug 19, 2010
hot springs village, ar
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Pudsbrat said:
Hey globalgrl...an Ace 250 is a hard detector to beat...got lots of features that cost on other detectors...got pinpoint, 5 modes of hunting.....custom program....relic....coin...jewelry....there is a Fisher that has the same features and cost big$$$ but the Ace is only around $200-240 depending on where you buy it....I have had one for almost 2 years and I am thrilled to be able to use it....found lots of good stuff and it is easy to learn...comes with a dvd and excellent instructions .....well worth the money and lightweight too.... see ya later.

Thanks Pudsbrat, I found one online (Ace 250) for $200!!! Woohoo, can't wait til it comes!

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a whites xlt been using it for about 2 years and love it. i live just across the border in ok and i hunt the parks in ft smith quite a lot and the city parks are very convenient and safe. you never know what you will find. last week i found a 1 dollar coin from sweden, how about that for arkansas cant wate till it cools off. welcome to the forum and good luck with your ace dave

OP
OP
globalgrl

globalgrl

Greenie
Aug 19, 2010
hot springs village, ar
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
suprdave said:
i have a whites xlt been using it for about 2 years and love it. i live just across the border in ok and i hunt the parks in ft smith quite a lot and the city parks are very convenient and safe. you never know what you will find. last week i found a 1 dollar coin from sweden, how about that for arkansas cant wate till it cools off. welcome to the forum and good luck with your ace dave

how about that, Dave! Pretty cool, I guess it was a Kroner!
I'm with you on the cooling off!
Thanks for writing!
Will keep you posted.

globalgrl (grew up in Poteau but been gone for 30 years!)

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
globalgrl you know that we have a KGC treasure here in Polk County......Bob Brewer that wrote the book on the KGC lives in Hatfield....down around Goat Brown Springs there is supposedly lots of gold and silver buried that the KGC was saving to restart the war.....

OP
OP
globalgrl

globalgrl

Greenie
Aug 19, 2010
hot springs village, ar
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Pudsbrat said:
globalgrl you know that we have a KGC treasure here in Polk County......Bob Brewer that wrote the book on the KGC lives in Hatfield....down around Goat Brown Springs there is supposedly lots of gold and silver buried that the KGC was saving to restart the war.....

Why aren't you out looking!!?? :)

I think I just ordered his book, it has Sentinel in the title, do you know him?

I can't wait til my MD comes!

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shadow of the Sentinel...by Bob Brewer...yes I know him.....I ran into him once and asked him to speak at my treasure club meeting and his wife was very sick and we never got to hear him.....he told us that if you try to hunt out at Goat Brown Springs, there is always someone out there to run you off...not sure if they are KGC or govt......said it is very dangerous......would love to find some of the stuff..

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey girl are you finding any goodies.....havent heard from you in a while and I guess you are out learning that machine.....probably out finding all the silver and wheaties.....see ya later.....

OP
OP
globalgrl

globalgrl

Greenie
Aug 19, 2010
hot springs village, ar
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Hi Pubsbrat!

You are so correct, I have been learning and having fun just around this area. I got a permit for the islands and Ouachita Lake area from the corp and I have just been enjoying the sunshine. Found some change, nothing much but I am really having fun!
thanks for checking.
Will let you know when I get up Mena way. Happy hunting to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions