Buying a used detector, have some questions.

darkkitten2000

Feb 26, 2009
Kal nad Kanalom
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, Miner4, eeTH, ETI561
Hi mate,
well, everything wears out. The detector(s) doesn't lose sensitivity and it may work for another 20 years or it will stop working at any time. No one can say. What usually are problems with old electronics are waren out (or corroded/oxidized) connectors and contacts, the electrolytic capacitors might (probably does) need replacement, the potentiometers might be waren out. But in general it's ok, or mignt be with little soldering. I used to have an 30 years old military detector, which still works (the naighboring children are playing with it).

regards,
d.

OP
OP
C

capri_auto

Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for the reply, I will be buying this detector. I figure they still sell it and its a pretty hardy machine. I plan to use it for diving and on land. On land I'll end up digging everything anyway, I read about too many stories of people ignoring signals then deciding to dig anyway only to find a great relic.

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to find enough to buy a newer model. possibly a Sov GT or Ex-cal

OP
OP
C

capri_auto

Apr 6, 2010
Ended up buying the Fisher Impulse from the tech section. 250 in great condition with a case, extra batt. pack and belt clip shipped to my door, talk about a nice deal. I will be digging lots of trash apparently, and if she breaks I'm all but SOL. But I figure it'll be a good first detector....

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say its according to your budget. I bought a 1280X off Ebay for 204.00 dollars. Works good. I just can't afford to pay the price for a high end machine. I will not be able to use it for a couple of months

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions