billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say I identify with your questions.... In a garage sale stacked 5' high with cardboard boxes, there was a cedar chest almost in the very back... I asked to if I could open it and look. It was filled with rolls of wrapping paper, bows, and on the bottom I pulled out a picture.

The frame was thin black wood, and the glass was cracked about 3" up from the corner, but the old picture looked interesting. I got it in a bundle buy with the old bayonet and others stuff for $10. When I got it home, I pulled the old nails out that were holding the back on. The picture turned out to be from a 1951 calendar....:tongue3:

I'll be watching your thread and hoping to learn more, too.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me say I know absolutely nothing about paintings or drawings so my point of view comes from being in a similar place as you.

The first thing is if you have to contemplate a $3 risk, I'm not sure this is the type of business for you. And really is it a risk? ....because you could have easily got your money back regardless of what they were. When you know very little about what you're buying the only real question you can ask yourself is how much would someone else pay to take a chance on the item. I buy things all the time that I have no personal interest in, and might not even know much about, but I'm good at paying in the safe range and the worst thing that can happen is I break even. Buying and selling is truly a game of no risk - no reward, and when you're winging it with very little knowledge it's much more of a gamble. Being too tight with your money can be just a big a negative as overpaying, and sticking your nose in is the only real way your going to gain experience and have a better feel for what you're doing.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll also add when it comes to buying I am extremely trigger happy. When I see something that I feel has a hint of potential I usually can't resist because I have to be the one to have that chance and hate the idea of someone else getting a score that was within my reach. Another point to add to this which is actually very important, is that the more volume you do, the more pleasant surprises you will get with items turning out to be better than you thought.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Art and paintings are a hard to figure out. They always say that art is in the eye of the beholder, and I have had good luck if the price is right flipping flea market art.
Especially if the work is signed! For the price you posted, I would have bought it all. Might have eaten some of the works, but it only takes one homerun to make the day.
My opinion only and good luck and HH.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it appeals to you, buy it - chances are it will appeal to someone else.

I have to admit, I would never spend $2 for a Picasso under that rule though.

OP
OP
T

Terreldactyl

Feb 26, 2013
If it appeals to you, buy it - chances are it will appeal to someone else.

I have to admit, I would never spend $2 for a Picasso under that rule though.

That was my issue. It's not something I would have necessarily put in my house.

OP
OP
T

Terreldactyl

Feb 26, 2013
I'll also add when it comes to buying I am extremely trigger happy. When I see something that I feel has a hint of potential I usually can't resist because I have to be the one to have that chance and hate the idea of someone else getting a score that was within my reach. Another point to add to this which is actually very important, is that the more volume you do, the more pleasant surprises you will get with items turning out to be better than you thought.

Thank you for the great responses. I see now that there is always risk involved no matter how informed you may be. Lesson learned.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the great responses. I see now that there is always risk involved no matter how informed you may be. Lesson learned.

Yes, and the important part is it's always calculated risk, and the more experience you gain the better you are able to calculate it.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
Iron patch you just gave the best advise any body could give.Evan if they had been doing it all there life.Only 1 thing I would add if you are tempted to spend out of your comfort zone.Just make sure it is some thing you would be happy keeping.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron patch you just gave the best advise any body could give.Evan if they had been doing it all there life.Only 1 thing I would add if you are tempted to spend out of your comfort zone.Just make sure it is some thing you would be happy keeping.

Or an amount that would not crush you to lose.

The beauty of it is when you make enough good deals it allows you to roll the dice a little here and there without too much worry. I am definitely not the type of person who is a gambler when it comes to things like the lottery or a horse race, but if it's buying or a game of pool where it's about knowledge and control, yes, I definitely have some of that type of gambling DNA. The reason I am more ok with the last two is because I generally know the value of what I'm buying, and even though I can't beat everyone at pool, I can pick out those who I can beat, and that's the only thing that counts. (calculated risk)

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me say I know absolutely nothing about paintings or drawings so my point of view comes from being in a similar place as you.

The first thing is if you have to contemplate a $3 risk, I'm not sure this is the type of business for you. And really is it a risk? ....because you could have easily got your money back regardless of what they were. When you know very little about what you're buying the only real question you can ask yourself is how much would someone else pay to take a chance on the item. I buy things all the time that I have no personal interest in, and might not even know much about, but I'm good at paying in the safe range and the worst thing that can happen is I break even. Buying and selling is truly a game of no risk - no reward, and when you're winging it with very little knowledge it's much more of a gamble. Being too tight with your money can be just a big a negative as overpaying, and sticking your nose in is the only real way your going to gain experience and have a better feel for what you're doing.

my philosophy exactly, I buy a bit of everything most of it I know little about. my criteria for everything (including art) 1) can I get it for cheap enough, 2) is it quality made, and 3) can I envision a personality type that would buy it

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also I buy art that I like, that way if it doesn't get sold I can put it up!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also I buy art that I like, that way if it doesn't get sold I can put it up!

That's my problem. The art I buy, I like, but it's never worth much. lol.

As far as buying goes, if it's only a couple dollars and it won't break you then I say buy it. Of course if your like me you'll end up with a couple storage units, a workroom/shed and a spare bedroom and closets full of boxes of stuff. Not to mention the display cabinets that are stuffed and overfilled. It's all good sellable stuff, but it adds up quick if you don't commit the time to selling it. Your house will start looking like Hector the junk collector's, if your not careful. I'm glad the wife (tries and for the most part does) keeps me in check.

Anyway, for a few dollars it's not much of a risk financially, so go for it. You can always resell it for an extra dollar or two at your own garage/yard sale if turns out to be not worth selling online or whatever. One word of caution though, when it comes to art, more specifically paintings, take into consideration the size of the picture and what it will entail when trying to ship it as far as packing goes. Large paintings can be costly to pack/ship. I have one now i'd like to list but i'm not too sure how to pack a 36" x 48" glass fronted picture frame securely, so it hangs on my wall instead.

Good luck!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always take a 10X loupe magnifier and my IPhone. . .
the loupe is to look for the "dots" (an off-set printed reproduction and generally of little value) and the phone to "google" the artist's name.

That said, I have seen many worthless art prints in WONDERFUL antique frames that are very desirable and worth the $5 or $10 asking price.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the loupe is to look for the "dots" (an off-set printed reproduction and generally of little value) and the phone to "google" the artist's name.

That said, I have seen many worthless art prints in WONDERFUL antique frames that are very desirable and worth the $5 or $10 asking price.

Yes, that's another good tip. Sometimes the frame is where the money is.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I say buy anything that's not junk as long as you can afford it.

Yeah, worst case scenario you lose a couple of bucks, BUT you'll gain experience.

You'll never know until you spend some cash how much stuff is worth. You only have to be lucky once to make up for a day of bad purchases. Or if you're realllllllyyyy lucky, you can buy one item to make up a lifetime of bad purchases.

For example, the other week I bought an old brownie junior camera for $2, not worth it (with eBay fees I'd be in the hole if I sold it assuming it sold for what most were selling for, plus it wasn't in the greatest of condition) but through that I learned a lot about vintage cameras, stuff that previously I had no clue about. Now whenever I find a vintage camera, I'll be able to better research it and determine if it would be a good value.

You don't become an expert by merely reading about stuff, you've got to buy it, handle it, research it and figure out first hand about it for it to really "stick".

OP
OP
T

Terreldactyl

Feb 26, 2013
That's my problem. The art I buy, I like, but it's never worth much. lol.

As far as buying goes, if it's only a couple dollars and it won't break you then I say buy it. Of course if your like me you'll end up with a couple storage units, a workroom/shed and a spare bedroom and closets full of boxes of stuff. Not to mention the display cabinets that are stuffed and overfilled. It's all good sellable stuff, but it adds up quick if you don't commit the time to selling it. Your house will start looking like Hector the junk collector's, if your not careful. I'm glad the wife (tries and for the most part does) keeps me in check.

Anyway, for a few dollars it's not much of a risk financially, so go for it. You can always resell it for an extra dollar or two at your own garage/yard sale if turns out to be not worth selling online or whatever. One word of caution though, when it comes to art, more specifically paintings, take into consideration the size of the picture and what it will entail when trying to ship it as far as packing goes. Large paintings can be costly to pack/ship. I have one now i'd like to list but i'm not too sure how to pack a 36" x 48" glass fronted picture frame securely, so it hangs on my wall instead.

Good luck!

I promised my girlfriend I wouldn't become a hoarder but I guess it would only take one good $3 purchase that turns into a few hundred to make her more understanding. And besides I'm a long way from "hoarder".

OP
OP
T

Terreldactyl

Feb 26, 2013

I will be looking out for dots and also nice picture frames.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
#1 Tip-Rembrandt is dead so that ain't him signing prints.
#2 Tip- Alfred E. Newman ain't a famous painter.
#3 Tip- So far, paint by numbers are not too valuable.
#4 Tip- Black velvet paintings of Elvis are priceless, but probably only at Graceland.
#5 Tip- When you post here wanting US to ID some weird name, tell if it is a print or a painting or encourage your hopeless dream of escaping poverty, then PLEASE, take people's word for it and don't keep arguing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread