Buying bags from coin counters, is it worth it?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have asked at several banks and none of them will sell bags from the coin counters. Well today I asked at my final bank where I have an account and they said sure, what ever I want.

So the first question is, is it worth it? Their machine is a CoinMAX and I am not sure if it rejects silver or not, don't really want to waste a dime to find out, but I would think it wouldn't reject 40% halves, BUT there is another CRHer who checks for rolls at the bank and I am trying to find out where he dumps them, although to the best of knowledge he doesn't buy boxes of halves.

Secondly, what are peoples percentages on Dimes, Quarters and Halves doing this?

I have a bank that I dump at that won't sell CWR and really doesn't like to sell BWR so I just dump there

What are peoples thoughts on the bags?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
As I mentioned my bank that would sell bags has now refused saying it causes them extra paperwork. I am going to talk to another bank today about it.

ON rejecting Silver I think you could test it by putting a silver dime in with your dump and see if it comes back. I just can't bring myself to do that.

I wonder what the average person in a bank has for deposits, in other words when I set up a small account t use their coin counter are do the other depositors have $10,000 or $30,000 sitting in the bank or do most people have only a couple grand in the bank? I know my late son was always overdrawn and my brother has like $10.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Well my last hope for a bank selling bank bags fell through, but I have 4 banks that will order boxes of halves at least.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
better than nothing

FSM

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you guys just rewrapping and dumping? My bank that had a free coin counter for customers quit taking them about a year ago (started charging 10% for customers and non customers)

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Decided to ask at a different bank today same branch that had refused to show me bags before they sold me a bag of halves and a bag of Dimes both partial bags they thanked me for taking them so they don't have to ship them out$600 no 650 in halves $400 in dimes now have to go home and go through them so perseverance paid off

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I will be going back to this bank!

22 40% and 9 90% including my first Ben. The bag of dimes ($400 only) had only 1 silver Rosie. They have a bag of quarters also but a friend who has a coin store said he had his wife take $1,500 worth of uncirculated state quarters and dump them there, so the odds are that is all unc states, but I will try it anyway as there are some errors in the states.

IMG_20171224_204619206_HDR a.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions