Buying coin collection?

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Met a lady in the bank last Wed asking the teller if they knew anyone in town that would look at the coin collection she had and buy it? The teller pointed to me and said ask him, he is always in here looking for coins. I gave her my phone number and she said she would call me. Well yesterday I got to see and inspect the pile of coins. We counted and sorted bags of silver, and using the current silver values as a starting point and not giving any credit to key dates, came upwith what I felt was a fair figure to her, $2,067 to purchase the pile. I said to her to take the written amount figures we came up with and see if she could maybe find someone willing to pay more, I'm sure that will not be the case. She could use the money, but not desperate for the cash. So now I wait to see if I will get the pile. She said yesterday she was "almost ready" to let them go as they belonged to her father that died 2 years ago. I figured silver melt value less 10% is how I got to my cash figure. Hope I'm not over paying, I would not be selling just stockpiling and holding with my current silver.

Upvote 0

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been collecting since the early 60's. Over the years, I've had people approach me asking if I buy. I told them I do, but I look to see what they have. I tell them I pay 80% of what the silver value is at the time. I also tell them if you go to a dealer, they will probably only give you 50% of the silver value. (This is for the scrap silver) As for key dates, I bring books with me and let them see the value depending on the grade. We then work out a price. If they accept, I pay cash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread