Buying new coil

cashole

Mar 26, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to purchase a new coil. I pretty much have my mind set on a d2 coil, I use a whites vx3 an it has the standard eclipse 950 stock coil I'm interested in getting more depth an better recognition then what the 950 has to offer I hunt mainly old homesteads in western oklahoma "red caliche soil" with low to high iron in the surrounding hunting areas sometimes I believe to be masking objects from there retrievel I usually just run my detector in the factory high pro mode an don't really mess to much with settings any advice or input would be greatly appreciated

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The D2 will do the job just fine. I put one on my vx3 the very first day. You won't have any more masking issues, might get a bit deeper and it'll get through the mineralization much better than the 950. I really like it.
Pinpointing is a different than with the 950. Some people initially have problems pinpointing and get discouraged. I much prefer how dd coils pinpoint myself. I don't see ever going back to concentric coils!

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goes to show you how much different opinions are... My V3i came with the 10d2 and I went and bought a 950 and really, so far that I have used it, I like the 950 much better. It found 2 clad dimes in my front yard that my 10d2 had missed. Seems less bothered by the pesky emi also. Only got about an hour and a half on it so far though. Also seems easier to pinpoint with.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in my soil the D2 will get as deep as the super 12" coil and separation is great for a big coil, it depends how deep your coins might be as some of the old parks here have been detected for 40yrs now and only the really deep stuff is left. Seems the only silver left is 9"+ deep with most being at 10" have have found a few really deep IH's, wheats, and silver dimes at 12" before. The D2 coil makes the MXT like its on steroids and I use it at least 90% of the time out of the 5 different coils I have. HH

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have the vx3 and hunted with the 950 coil for a little while. Then i bought the d2 coil and did it ever wake my machine up. it was like night and day for my area. I just bought the whites 6x10 coil and hunted with it for the first time yesterday for an hour. i can say it runs a little smoother then the d2 coil and is lighter. the only reason i bought the 6 x10 was for hunting old house sites in the woods or in the farm fields. Good luck

OP
OP
cashole

cashole

Mar 26, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks texjim exactly the reply I was looking for ill be investing in a 6x10 next for those areas that are so trashed with iron you just pack up an move on

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions