Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug what I believe to be a civil war button today bit not sure what it is exactly. I found it at a school where I have previously dug musket balls and an old large cent...right up from where Jackson's troops were known to have camped in the eastern panhandle of WV.The button is flat with no notable markings on the front. The reverse has some kind of pattern along the edge of the back face...not sure if it is letters or just a pattern. If its a pattern it appears just to be "spokes" or something basic.Along both sides, just beside the shank on at least one side there is a very distinct asterisk with what appears to be the letter C above it and what I originally thought was a heart below it. Then it dawned on me that if it was oriented so that the C is upright that "heart" was upside down and could be an A. Meaning from top to bottom it would read "C*A" (confederate army perhaps?)Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'm not sure I can get a picture that would show that much detail but I will try...

The diameter is 18mm so it's fairly small.

edit: here it is. Not the best but you can see it there to the left of the shank. The bottom letter/symbol (the "A" is also visible on the right of the shank). On second thought the "C" could also be an upside down "heart" or whatever that is, facing the asterisk.

Edit #2: Pretty sure those are hearts...both of them. You can actually see one below the shank too. Didn't notice that until I looked at the picture a little closer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread