🥇 BANNER C.S.A. Button; Chain Cent; And Many Others!!! Best Day I have Ever Had!!!!

gbpackrfan1990

Feb 2, 2012
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejan; Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went back to the place that I found the 1851 Saber Belt Plate and Vermont Button, and had one heck of a day! The construction crew demolished an old 1920s house, and I was amazed at what came out from underneath it!!! I dug well into the night, nugget after nugget! My finds include:

9 Bullets (3 minie balls, 1 gardiner, 1 enfield, 3 colt, 1 round ball)
1 sword scabbard tip
1 1876 silver dime
1 1871 indian head penny
1 1867 shield nickel
1 1810 Large Cent
3 Eagle buttons (2 cuff; 1 Gold plated Coat)
********************** Here come the goodies
1 Solid Cast C.S.A. Button
1 1793 Chain Cent
1 Unknown Token (last two pictures; I think its a Prussian medal c. 1815, it says "NEUE EHRE NEUES GLÜCK" on the front and Voll Muth on the back. I am unsure of the value, any help is appreciated!!!)

Attachments

• 9_2_15_everything.jpg
    9_2_15_everything.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 786
  • chain front.jpg
    chain front.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 626
  • CSA.jpg
    CSA.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 583
  • indian head.jpg
    indian head.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 564
  • LC.jpg
    LC.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 557
  • shield_nickle.jpg
    shield_nickle.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 558
  • 1876_silver_dime.jpg
    1876_silver_dime.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 568
  • uktb.jpg
    uktb.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 637
  • uktf.jpg
    uktf.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 551
  • ccb.jpg
    ccb.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Upvote 81

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess it was a Token or a Medal?

Thats pretty interesting. Thanks for the info!

In this case a medal. But not in the common meaning, these were "Auswurfmedaillen/thrown medals" which means they were minted in large quantities and thrown into the crowd on a parade or something similar.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do they know you were getting some good finds? Did they put the signs up because they saw you detecting? If so, I'm wondering how long it will be that they are in there swinging a detector!

OP
OP
gbpackrfan1990

gbpackrfan1990

Feb 2, 2012
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do they know you were getting some good finds? Did they put the signs up because they saw you detecting? If so, I'm wondering how long it will be that they are in there swinging a detector!

No someone reported us because there were several of us hunting. They did it for legal reasons apparently. They never knew what we were digging.

Another guy dug a U.S. Plate, a dropped whitworth and a gold Louisiana button.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow, sorry to hear that you might not have access to the site anymore. :dontknow:
Look at what you did find and remember that you were the first one who was on site and you made the BANNER! :occasion14:

Congrats,
Dave

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll say that's the best day ever.

Just wow.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep in the ground are items as old as these? Would an ace 250 be able to find this stuff haha sorry new here but working really hard to find something old!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Liability Issues", thats the excuse they gave me.

That's what they always say.

How many hunters were searching the site (sounds like it was of a pretty good size).??

So what are they Building?? More $300,000 -$400,000 Homes?

I like to "try" to ask Who I can talk to so I can sign away "Liability" to the Property owners or any others involved in the Venture. BUT Usually that get's me nowhere.

Wish a had the Money for a Lawyer to work on these things for me.

Their Sup -post to Start Clearing a few Historic Civil War sites near me in the Next Month or 2 (maybe already have 'their kinda off my beaten path) I need to check BUT They are already posted every 15 feet or So . Cannot Miss That. lol

Hate to see so much history Buried or Covered over .Guess that's the way it is but all we ask is to be able to hunt for relics,& Coin's While the Site is Being prepped & while no-body is Working. & At our own risk.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep in the ground are items as old as these? Would an ace 250 be able to find this stuff haha sorry new here but working really hard to find something old!

IMO In most soil conditions & where the soil has not been disturbed --Basically if a site is the same as it was 200 years ago most items will not sink that much , I have dug some cool stuff at 2 --4 inches.
Your machine should work well enough on the majority of Targets.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No someone reported us because there were several of us hunting. They did it for legal reasons apparently. They never knew what we were digging.

Another guy dug a U.S. Plate, a dropped whitworth and a gold Louisiana button.

Ahhh.. Should have read down before I posted. "Several" people hunting the site.

Over the years it's not been Uncommon to see 6+ Trucks /Cars parked at a site while logging /Clearing is going on.
& Almost no one Hunts alone.

With finds like that coming out of there , It would be hard not to hunt there.
By the time Large Scale Movements & Fighting Started here (Atlanta area) Spring Summer 1864 Most Confederates were down to using Squandered Union Equipment. ie, Many GS Buttons at Confederate Sites.
Guess my point is LA Buttons are Super Hard to find in these Parts.

Those kind of Finds will make a Man Temporally INSANE enough to hunt a Posted Site. LOL
Davers

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OVER THE TOP THERE 1990 .... DANG NICE FINDS.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what they always say.

How many hunters were searching the site (sounds like it was of a pretty good size).??

So what are they Building?? More $300,000 -$400,000 Homes?

I like to "try" to ask Who I can talk to so I can sign away "Liability" to the Property owners or any others involved in the Venture. BUT Usually that get's me nowhere.

Wish a had the Money for a Lawyer to work on these things for me.

Their Sup -post to Start Clearing a few Historic Civil War sites near me in the Next Month or 2 (maybe already have 'their kinda off my beaten path) I need to check BUT They are already posted every 15 feet or So . Cannot Miss That. lol

Hate to see so much history Buried or Covered over .Guess that's the way it is but all we ask is to be able to hunt for relics,& Coin's While the Site is Being prepped & while no-body is Working. & At our own risk.
Davers

Can't you buy public liability insurance, it's only about £15 a year here & most clubs make it a club rule to have it.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Can't you buy public liability insurance, it's only about £15 a year here & most clubs make it a club rule to have it.

You might be able to sign a waiver of liability with whoever owns the property. Also, when I detected a town building I was required to contact my homeowner's policy to prove I had liability insurance. They provided a form that I forwarded to the appropriate people. Or something like that... it's been a few years. But might be worth looking into.

OP
OP
gbpackrfan1990

gbpackrfan1990

Feb 2, 2012
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am going to call them on Monday and see if we can work something out! I'll let you know how it goes

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! Now that's a day to remember! That chain cent is in great shape for a dug coin! Great Job and thanks for sharing!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fanstastic!!!!!:occasion14:

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad news guys... The owners of the property just put up posted signs... I heard right after I dug a 1773 Virginia Half Penny... I am heart broken

I would send them a thank you card for allowing you to detect their property. Then offer your services, and placement of your previous finds, if they ever want to do an archaeological dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread