C.S.A coins

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
I have had these for a long time. I believe I got them at an auction in a box of stuff. I remember they were wrapped up in a piece of cloth and just down in the bottom and looked more like trash than anything actually being in there. I put them away and forgot about them until I found this website. Do you know anything about them. I looked online and found where only 55 of the copper 1 cent pieces were made and none of the 5$ pieces but the picture it had looked exactly like the one that I have here. I'm going to put them in my safety deposit box today until I can figure out what they are. Thanks for any info that you may have.

image-3105318446.jpg

image-3049002742.jpg

image-1522696369.jpg

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On an original one cent CSA coin the ends of the wreath nearly touch at the top. Yours appears to have a larger gap. IMO, it's a replica. As for the $5 piece, I'm not familiar with the CSA ever minting a $5 coin; only one cent and 50 cent coins. That said, I"d call the $5 coin a fantasy coin.
Don.......

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
Well enough for me. I just remembered that I had them and thought that it wouldn't hurt to ask around. That is exactly what I expected to hear. Thanks for taking your time to answer.

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
It says copy no where on them. I looked at www.csacoins.com. It says that no $5 pieces are known to exist but it doesn't say that they didn't make them so I don't know what to think. I'm looking for a coin collector around Joplin mo to look at them. Thanks for looking.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I really hope these are legit. I've seen folding money a lot, but these are the first coins I've seen pictures of.
Best of luck, and please keep us posted.

Bill

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
Bill I will absolutely keep you posted. It's going to be a little bit before I have time though. My son is playing football and they think these third graders are going to play Div. 1 ball next year. We practice 3 nights a week for 2-3 hrs and games on Saturday. Doesn't give a single dad much time for anything but work and that. I will get them in the hands of someone that knows more than I ASAP. Thanks for looking. Have a great weekend

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I remember the peewee football days, parents fighting on the side lines, and cursing at the coaches and refs.
i hope the parents in your neck of the woods have more respect than here.
Hope your son has a great time this season, and it's great to see a dad stay involved with their kids activities. It doesn't seem to happen too much these days.

Best of luck,
Bill

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
The football parents aren't too bad....yet. I've been coaching baseball and that can get pretty heated especially on the traveling team.

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
I have the same set, at least up to a quarter dollar. The CSA never minted the coins other than a single commissioned engraving set that was presented to Jefferson Davis. You can buy a collector set at any civil war museum for about 2.00.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread