cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If true, why wouldn't the token have S.SP instead of SP? :icon_scratch:
Fair question. Depending on when it was issued (which we haven't yet determined), South St Paul may not have existed. I'm not sure of the date off-hand, but it was simply considered part of St Paul up to some point (also known as the village of Kaposia, but that referred more to the home of the local Dakota tribe )

Contrary to what Idahotokens found in the city directories, the historical museum director found Spiker, Charles listed under saloons in the 1885 Polks, address of 235 Concord, which would roughly coincide with the "11-13 doors down from Grand Ave" that he found in later directories. I also found that he sold it on 1888 to a Louis Becker, and that in 1886, he opened the Spilker Hotel in nearby Inver Grove Heights, about 3 miles south on Concord.

Thanks for your interest, and for challenging me on this. It is a lot of fun trying to play detective here!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incidentally, I have found this Library of Congress site to be an amazing resource for researching old newspaper stories!

Edit: Oops,sorry... forgot the link!

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread