C.W. NAVY BUTTON...MY BEST FIND TO DATE! ( I think)

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
BUTTON EXPERTS PLEASE HELP!

I checked out a new site on my way home from work this evening. It is near the spot that I found numerous flat buttons from the early 1800's. I got a good hit with my ACE a few minutes after getting out of my car and when I looked down I saw this button on the surface! Only the edges were buried! It looks just like I found it, with only some brushing with a soft toothbrush. The soil is sandy and (if this is real) it has been preserved amazingly! It measures 23mm, and appears to be a two piece button with a square shank. The only back mark is the initials B.S. and it still has a cotter pin to fasten it. I hope a button expert can tell me more about this button.

A few minutes later I found this ring. It appears to be copper. This is the second piece of copper jewelry I have found in the area. Was copper jewelry popular in the 19th century?

I only could hunt for about 20 minutes tonight, but you can bet I will get back as soon as I can!

Attachments

• 2007_0511Image0005.JPG
    2007_0511Image0005.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 509
  • 2007_0511Image0007.JPG
    2007_0511Image0007.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 506
  • 2007_0511Image0010.JPG
    2007_0511Image0010.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 501
Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice looking button, WTG!!!
Sorry, no help with the ID on it though...
About the ring, I believe alot of the older copper jewelry was gold, or silver plated, but I'm not real sure about that either. lol,,, not much help am I?
Anyway, Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That button is awesome Neil....haven't seen a back like that ever,cotter pin is definetley locked in.Can't help with the ID but great find's.....Cool ring also...

PATreasureHunter

Mar 22, 2007
Lititz, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
ROCK ON NEIL!!! great stuff there! I hope you have a great weekend hunting....keep us all informed on that site. I imagine there's more there, just waiting to be found!

D

dugupfinds

Nice finds.

I not a button expert, but I like to guess. I think its WWI era??

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
Cool button, could well be the real deal. Things often get exposed to the light of day again with the right weather conditions. Good luck with the id.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
dugfinds said:
Nice finds.

I not a button expert, but I like to guess. I think its WWI era??

Funny, but the guy on the other side of the pond knows about the US buttons. I think you may be right, Dugfinds.

Smokey

Feb 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100
I've never found a button of that taste...only old blue jeans around here in South Texas!!!

55TXBANDIT

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
I do believe it is a button for a cover.. er.. hat to the sailors out there.. ;-) at least it looks a lot like one. The "cotter pin" is used to hold it in the heavier band of a hat.

MonkeyBoy

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I believe this is the variety listed by Albert as #NA 121 B. If so, it dates 1941 or later.

• Eagle looks to its own right— i.e., its head points to your left as you look at the button.

• Anchor points to your right.

• Upper fluke of the anchor is below, not on top of, the eagle's wing.

The self-shank reverse is also a fairly late feature.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread