Cabbing machine question

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Here's the pics of the cabbing machine I recently bought.

51808cab 002z.JPG
It's an older Star Diamond with 8" wheels and a 1/2hp motor.
I've converted it's mounting platform to a small wooden free-standing bench with the motor now underslung to conserve room.
Now I've got gravity belt tension and a slide mount to change the belt on the sheaves.
I use a small tabletop fountain pump for water feed.

51808cab 003z.JPG
I'm concerned with this belt... what abrasive material and grit should it be for doing quartz class minerals?
The seam in the belt kinda makes a thunk thunk when polishing... is this normal?

51808cab 005z.JPG
This is the buffing disk? end of the machine... It appears something was glued over this pad with contact cement? What should I be using here?

51808cab 010z.JPG
This is my 10" tile saw I'm using to cut rocks into slabs with.
Need to make a vice and auto-feed for the table.
Just gathered a junky black and decker table saw I hope to convert to a trim saw.

I also gotta learn how to figger which way to cut the rocks to get nicest patterns for cabachons.

Hope to gather materials to build a horizontal lap, soon.

Thanks for looking!

HH
rmptr

TRHunter

Feb 27, 2008
Please please please get a new belt NOW If that belt tears of you will get hurt. You need to get new belts they are not expensive but you need the 8inch for the expando drum. Go to Alpha Supply.com Get a 100 grit belt a 220grit a 400grit and a 600grit. The belts dont last too long so get 6 on each. They cost about $4 each. Now on the end polisher you can get round discs in the same grits for doing flat surfaces or on my machine I have the same type I have a leather polishing pad which I charge with Linda A polish. use wet or it will heat up your stone and some stones are real heat sensitive. You can stick the pads on with feathering glue at the hardwear store it sticks but pulls of easy. I own a rockshop and use all kinds of equiptment you have an oldie but very goody machine, You also need to true up your stones there is a diamond truer but I sometimes just use a brick, You can also sharpen your saw by cutting a brick or an old corundem wheel. If you need help I will be to answer any ? Good luck bet get rid of that belt before it flies across the room.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hey Thanks, TR!

Well the belt on the expando drum cut loose on me yesterday as I was grinding on the coarse stone...

It began flapping, and self destructed before I got it shut down, but no damage or injury.

I was warned NOT to use the machine without a belt on the expando, so I quit, and began searching for a belt, locally via all the glass and marble shops this morning... No joy.

So I took the expando off the machine and did some more work on these.
51808cabz.JPG

They are all pretty much country rock, but it suits my present skill level. ;D

I had glanced at a RioGrande catalogue a while back, and remembered their name, so I ordered a 5 pack of 600 grit belts already this morning, and some dop wax. I'll need to rig my propane torch some way so it doesn't generate too much heat and give that a try because I can't spring for a pot, just now.

I will look at AlphaSupply this evening... thanks for the tip.

Got a callout for some work today, so pretty soon I'll be able to invest in a little more lapidary stuff.

What is feathering glue???
I've plucked 'em before, but never tried to put 'em back on!

TR, something just came up...
Gotta run.

Thank you!

rmptr

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread