1.5 KB · Views: 13,392

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Re: Cache Found

Jeremy, I don't know how I missed this when you posted. Anyway, What an awesome find!!!!! :D :D

Congrats on the cache, some awful cool stuff you got there ;D :D ;D :D

HH 8) surfrat

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Be still my beating heart! :o That would make any day one of the best hunting experiences of any life! Happy Hunting!

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005

No question, that had to be an exciting thing to find! I can't imagine how you held off opening it and kept hunting, I couldn't do that, I would have been way too curious to do anything till I knew what was it it. Congrats! Not a day you will soon forget.

-Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! It must be a find of the century for Bria the internationally renowned treasure hunter to come on and comment on it! ;D What caused you to scan the flat rock? Was it out of place or did it seem to have been placed there? I'm asking because I have a bad habit of going around such "obstructions". What would intrigue me more than what it's worth is, who put it there? Why were those items particularly important to him/her? Why would anyone go to such lengths to spend so much time sealing the box in that manner? What in that person's life made it necessary to cache and hide those items? Who is "Mary", an unrequited love, a childhood sweetheart, a deceased loved one, perhaps a cherished child? And a million other questions. If I found such a cache those unanswered questions would drive me nuts.....heck, it's even bothering me now! In my day to day rounds I keep those things that make me question why instead of coins, jewelry , etc. To me it's those things that are true treasures. They whet my appetite for more, stir my imagination and make this hobby so fascinating. JIM

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the replies on this one. I have the same thoughts Jimmy. The area I was hunting has alot of flat sand stone rocks on the surface. Nothing you can't swing your coil right over. I was just hunting normally and got a solid 93 on the dfx that blew up my head phones. I looked down and there was abot a 8 by 8 by 2 inches thick rock in the way. As soon as I moved the rock I saw a dug hole already. The box was under the dirt so I couldn't just see it when the rock was turned over. You could tell they just laid it in there and the years of dust and dirt from the side walls covered it up.

When it first came out of the hole it was heavy. It was sealed so nice that i wasn't sure it it weren't just a solid peice of cast metal. I tried to shake it and there was no movement at all. At the time all I was concerend about was my first keeper for the day. Not even knowing I held this great treasure in my pouch that could have easily have fallen out in the rough terrain I was in.

I actually got home beleive this or not took this small box out onto the deck and started banging and chipping away at the side of it with my leche digging tool. Not taking and thought to what may be in it. I got a small secting chipped away and took some wore cutters and cut it open like a sardine can.

After I cut the first few inches of metal assuming something like nuts and bolts were going to come out I see this rag in there. I then second questioned myself to what may be in this box. I then saw a small glint of gold and seen a cuff link in there. Man my heart started racing at that point. By the time I got it open it felt as though I neede it on home video to actually see how i was acting. I was so gently I couldn't have hurt a feather. I was shaking with excitement and it's something I will always remember finding in this hobby that has been more than fair to me.

Thanks to everyone again.

Hope your adventures are filled with caches

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, JerDfx. Excellent find. Did you notice that the whitefaced wrist watch in the lower right corner of your last picture was designed to be worn on the right wrist? I don't recall ever seeing a wrist watch made specifically for left-handed people. That's pretty unique in itself. ;D

I say this because the winding stem is on the left side as you're looking at the face. (with the number "12" at the 12 o'clock position. cough, cough. no pun intended.)

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Re: Cache Found (Updated With New Pics)

Thanks alot guys,

It was a day to remember. It was like it was yesterday. One of the biggest moments excitement wise for me in this hobby. Finding a single old coin is great. Or even hitting a great site. But when you find a sealed box and start to open it and see gold. Man does your blood start pumping.

Yes the left handed watch is from the 1930's. It's a molly starks. Had the watches looked over buy a jewler. I love the gold one with the old english styling lettering. It just goes to show that there really are hidden caches out there. Not the typical mass of coins type of cache either.

It screamed a 93 on the dfx. I can recall moving a peice of flat sandstone right. I started to dig in the dirt. The hole was already hollowed out. The dirt was like powder. I picked it up and said to myself man this is heavy. Thought it was filled with nuts and bolts. When I got home and started to cut it open and seen gold I got really excited.

I think now I could get the items cleaned up better. But wanted to show some authenticity to the items by leaving a little bit of that green disease that gets on metal when it touches each other.

Thanks again for making this post come to life on the best of treasurenet.

HH Jeremy

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow, what an awesome dig.
I would be back there really checking for more cache holes,
maybe even probing for more big rocks in that yard.
WTG buddy, congrats on the find!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot guys

Yes, from time to time I will recheck the area. I Hit it fairly hard. Was a day to remember that's for sure. Hope the the next one is gold coins.

HH Jer

arrowman80

Greenie
Aug 19, 2006
Johnson City, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 101

Leon said:
Hey Jer,,,
I was searching threw some of the older post and saw that you have several of the " What's it " I have been wondering about...
Any clue as to what these little things are? Cuff links ???
I cropped one out of your pic, but the one I have looks to be identical to it...

This looks like an ornamental button hole filler like what you get when you rent a tux, instead of buttoning up your shirt with the buttons, there is a little hole beside the button, you push this through the hole beside the button, then through the button hole itself, it holds your shirt shut and is decorative. I wore them on the top four buttons of my tuxedo shirt when I got married, above the jacket line. They are for fancy dancies!

Attachments

• Tuxedo_Studs_Cuff_Links.jpg
    Tuxedo_Studs_Cuff_Links.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 8,706

Chas

Aug 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, love the pocked watches. Thanks for the pictures, they kept us all going.

gambol1

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2010
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Jer, I would pay especial attention to the box they were burried in. Tin (iron) boxes are the most common but they won't last a year in the ground soldered or not. This person knew that and used a box made from a metal that would last. This might suggest he had experience burying stuff. There might be another around there. I would go over the ground with a deep seeker.....It reminds me of the story about a guy who got into trouble for illegal slot machines. He burried his 100 dollar bills in fruit jars in the back yard to keep the IRS from finding it. When he got out of prision 2 years later the money had turned to mush because the lids of the fruit jars rusted through!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread