Cache help!!!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Real de Tayopa said:
HIO THOM: Well done my friend. It is the only logical one to remove if this was the purpose of this area in the first place. I retract my bet on a tool being left behind the round rock.

If you are successful Richard, "do not" post a picture of it in it's entirety, but only of one small piece for us to drool over.

Don Jose de La mancha

Ditto.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing Richard, do NOT put yout hand / arm in there without first making sure non of EVE"S helpers with the apple aren't living there. Snakes do like to live in such nice ready made homes.

Don Jose de La Mancha

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Real de Tayopa said:
One more thing Richard, do NOT put yout hand / arm in there without first making sure non of EVE"S helpers with the apple aren't living there. Snakes do like to live in such nice ready made homes.

Don Jose de La Mancha
A mirror on an extendable wand and a flashlight are snakeproof.Also a good way to look for other traps
before you reach in.

OP
OP
ruccello

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
WOW, you guys are good! I'm not giving up yet, but...

I went back with my kids as helpers - they're almost adults now - and scanned the same spot with the detector, and just in case it was a hot rock, I scanned the rest of the wall too. No signals anywhere else, and this signal I can't discriminate out, so it's something - just what I don't know. I brought a large pry bar to try to move some of the rocks, even the small wedged one under the round stone won't budge. I managed to pull a few more small stones out from inside the wall and took a look with the flashlight. Couldn't see anything. Then I poked the prybar in any hole I could find close to the area to scare out any critters that might still be hangin' out. Nothing came out, so I stuck my hand in as far as I could behind the rock, down the back, up, sideways - nothing. Then my kids did the same. My son was able to reach around from the bottom of the large round stone with one arm, to the left side of it - left of the wedged stone under the round stone - with his other hand, and touch both hands together. We found nothing, but still have a great signal. I think I need to start pulling large stones out to see what's in there. I probably won't go back until fall, it's really overgrown and difficult to maneuver in there. Thanks for all the support and suggestions. I'll keep you all posted.

Richard

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Thanks for the update, hopefully in the fall we have a story for the ages. It could also be the world's largest pulltab... :wink:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to hearing what it turns out to be either way! Kinda like Christmas! You gotta wait till Christmas day to open your present. Hope it's a bike & not socks or skivvies :D Best of luck on it!

OP
OP
ruccello

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Beale, that's an interesting point. My detector is fairly new, and does have auto ground balance, but today I had a problem with a hole I dug. I couldn't find anything in it, no matter how deep I dug - I was at least 12" - and still had a strong signal. I used my pinpointer and still couldn't find anything. So, I filled the hole back up, swung the detector over it again, and no signal at all. Also today I was hunting an old cellar hole, and about a hundred yards from the foundation, I ran the detector over a rock next to a tree. It gave a loud ring. I turned the discrimination up until it maxed out, and it still had a great signal. So, I'm thinking there's something under the rock. So I try lifting it - no chance it's coming out of the ground, it didn't even budge. I tried digging around it to get under it, after digging about 15" all around, I gave up. I don't think my detector can go that deep, and I'm thinking it's a hot rock, but I thought I could discriminate it out. I also checked all of the stones nearby to see if I could get another signal - no luck. Now I'm wondering if the rock at the wall is the same type of rock. Do you think a hot rock will cause the detector to give off such a good signal?

Richard

OP
OP
ruccello

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Hey Albert, thanks for the info. My detector has a discriminate knob, a sensitivity knob, a volume knob, and a frequency knob. I always adjust the discrimination, sensitivity, and sometimes even the frequency settings when I get weird signals. I adjusted all three knobs on the wall signal, and the stone signal. I've swung the detector on the wall on two separate occasions, and got the same signal. I'm wondering if these signals I'm getting on rocks are just the rocks themselves - they must be some pretty serious hot rocks! I just can't explain the one in the woods this weekend - huge rock 3' x 2' x more than 15" deep - loud signal, and I couldn't dig under it. Like I said, I don't think my detector has the capability to detect anything more than 12" in soil, never mind through solid rock. Have you (or anyone else reading this) had this type of experience with hot rocks before?

Thanks,

Richard

Santo10

Jul 8, 2008
Don't underestimate how deep your Fisher can search. I have a Fisher CZ6, and I have found multiple objects over 2 feet deep. I found a Mercury Dime in a school yard at about 28 inches depth....these detectors are good relic hunters and have great depth...discrimination isn't always the greatest, and pinpointing with mine proves difficult if I have the large head on. Usually the bigger the object, the deeper the detector will find it. I usually discriminate out iron..(unless relic hunting), but when you swing the detector across an iron reading....as you pull away you can get a silver tone....(just one of those quirks I hate).

newbob

Jan 29, 2007
richmond,va
theres small cameras with lights on them on ebay cheap you may be able to stick one of those in there wiggle it around and maybe see what it is. you may spend a few dollars now but your not hurt you wont have to tear down the wall unless its something there and wont worry you any more either way good luck with it and keep us posted

We use these at work and it is great.

Ridgid® SeeSnake Micro Inspection Camera
http://www.professionalequipment.com/ridgid-seesnake-micro-inspection-camera-25643/pipeline-cameras/

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
newbob said:
theres small cameras with lights on them on ebay cheap you may be able to stick one of those in there wiggle it around and maybe see what it is. you may spend a few dollars now but your not hurt you wont have to tear down the wall unless its something there and wont worry you any more either way good luck with it and keep us posted

We use these at work and it is great.

Ridgid® SeeSnake Micro Inspection Camera
http://www.professionalequipment.com/ridgid-seesnake-micro-inspection-camera-25643/pipeline-cameras/

You know that's a very good idea! You can get a small CCTV camera with about 200' of cable & a small 6" monitor for under $100. the camera picks up power from the monitor and the monitor will run off a motorcycle battery using an inverter ($39) for just shy of 10 hours. Oh yeah, the camera has 6 little IR LEDS. Used this setup for a quick & dirty surveillance until we could get something permanent up. Good idea Newbob!

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
I have circled in red the big rock on the upper left. That is the rock I would try to move, it does not look like it is supporting anything. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,155
OP
OP
ruccello

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Sorry everyone, I've been on vacation. Thanks for all the great ideas. The camera idea is out of my price range, I think I will be doing this the old fashioned way. You guys are right about the depth of the fisher1236x2 also. I was out this weekend and pulled some iron out over 12" deep - closer to 14". I'm not sure how stone compares to dirt though for depth.

Wireless, that rock you circled is at least 3 feet deep, that's as far as I can see anyway. It has smaller rocks above it, inside that dark crack, that have pressure on them applied from the larger stones above. I pulled out every stone that I could that was loose in the wall in the general vicinity of the signal. Nothing large was loose, not even slightly loose. The large stones are all very large - 3 to 4 feet wide, and some are also that deep. I was there today detecting the ground in some small clear areas (found a beautiful colonial buckle, and a button - I'll post soon), but I did manage to put my pin pointer into any open areas I could in the wall - no signal. I'm gonna wait until fall/winter before I start tearing it apart, if I can't find any other way. I'm still not sure about the hot rock issue. Here's the same question that I posed earlier: HAS ANYONE EVER EXPERIENCED A HOT ROCK THAT WON'T DISCRIMINATE OUT? My detector will discriminate all junk targets, unless they are very large.

So, the saga continues. I will keep everyone posted if/when I discover the mystery of the wall.

Thanks,

Richard

chellyp

Mar 30, 2005
Northwest Oklahoma
Haven't been here in forever - silly me - opened a cafe, now no time to swing. Anyway, still consider myself a newbie - what exactly is a "hot" rock? High iron content? Thanks!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't find room in the budget for the camera, try looking for a cabled one they're cheaper than the wireless ones. usually can be found around $80. If that's not an option for you, and you have enough room to get your arm in. Auto parts stores and some hardwares have mirrors on an extend able stick that can be poked in and angled as needed. I've used these to look between walls for wires and pipes using a small maglight flashlight with good results.

See if you can chip a piece of the suspected hot rock off to test at a distance from the wall. It should have enough iron content to test hot.

Hope that gives you a few directions to go!

OP
OP
ruccello

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Chellyp, I found this definition of a hot rock: Hot Rocks are pebbles or rocks that contain more nonconductive mineralization than the surrounding ground to which the metal detector is balanced. When hot rocks are in the detector's electromagnetic field, they disturb the ground balance of metal detector so intensively that the machine reads them as metal targets, i.e. the hot rocks produce a positive or false metallic responses which slightly vary in pitch tone from one area to another. Hot rocks can contain either a mineral density (pebbles) or mineral quantity (large rocks), or both.

Joecoin, c4 sounds like a great idea at this point!

Boogeyman, $80 doesn't fit into my budget - ex-wife gets all the fun money! I do have a mirror on an extension that I could modify to make longer. I think I'll try that one. Also, I like the idea a whacking a piece of the rock off to check its conductivity - that never even crossed my mind.

Thanks everyone for the new ideas - the creativity of this group never ceases to amaze me!

Richard

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Re: Cache help!!! - hot rocks

Ruccello,

I'm in Northern Virginia and encounter hot rocks in certain sites. When using a Nautilus or Minelab Sov, they'll sound just like a good signal. They can be all sizes - sometimes when you move them from their ground environment, the signal will disappear. With the MXT, you get a good signal but the ID meter gives a +95 Hot Rock designation so I generally just leave them alone. Generally, in my limited experience, you won't find an isolated hot rock. Where there's one, there's more, maybe not everywhere but there should be others. You might try sticking a fairly strong magnet in the hole to see if you get an iron attraction. Also you might be able to stick a 2"x6" or other board across the top, a small car jack underneath and see if you can lift those top rocks enough to move your target rock. Might need a small metal plate between the top of jack and board to better spread the load.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hear that about the ex gobbling up the cash! I was at Harbor Freight today, and they have some B&W ones for $39. Don't know how good they are.

The idea above of using a bottle or scissor jack is a really good idea. But please use some boards to shore up the hole and be very sure of stability before you go sticking body parts in! We'd like to keep you around! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread