Cache Hunting

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Les, what if the cache is actually a Spanish cache that the grand father found himself? Sounds like a really cool story, I would stay away fromthe grandson but I would find out his name and so forth and when he has passed on, then it is up for anyone. I would also go back and take a video camera and digital camera and also a yard stick or tape measure. I would photograph everything. I would then look towards where the guns are pointed and take more pictures.

Walk to the direction of the barrels and look for anymore rocks or odd things such as bent trees, carved trees, etc. and then take even more pics.

Good luck with this adventure and I would have to agree with cubfan64, there will be sly persons abound that come to you in sheeps clothing...beware, and have a safe and wonderful time.

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
If it is on open Federal Land, it already belongs to you. Who you tell about it is up to you.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may get shot of federal land, so, try to get permission before searching. Best of luck to you.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK...
QUESTION #1 WHY DO YOU NEED A PERMIT TO DIG??? GRAMPA DIDN'T TAKE A SHOVEL
FROM THE ORCHARD TO THE WOODS. DON'T TAKE A SHOVEL. THAT NARROWS DOWN A LOT
OF PLACES TO LOOK/PHOTOGRAPH. IT'S HIDDEN, NOT BURRIED.

QUESTION #2 DO THE TWO FRIENDS, THAT TOLD YOU THE STORY, NOT KNOW THE GRANDSON'S NAME?

QUESTION #3 DOES AREOMIKE'S PICTURE SCARE ANYBODY BESIDES ME???

THERE HAVE BEEN A LOT OF GOOD IDEAS ON THIS THREAD... SOME , NOT SO GOOD.

JUST SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS.

HAPPY HUNTING
PROSPECTORMIKEL

K

Kentucky Kache

PROSPECTORMIKEL said:
OK...
QUESTION #1 WHY DO YOU NEED A PERMIT TO DIG??? GRAMPA DIDN'T TAKE A SHOVEL
FROM THE ORCHARD TO THE WOODS. DON'T TAKE A SHOVEL. THAT NARROWS DOWN A LOT
OF PLACES TO LOOK/PHOTOGRAPH. IT'S HIDDEN, NOT BURRIED.

QUESTION #2 DO THE TWO FRIENDS, THAT TOLD YOU THE STORY, NOT KNOW THE GRANDSON'S NAME?

QUESTION #3 DOES AREOMIKE'S PICTURE SCARE ANYBODY BESIDES ME???

THERE HAVE BEEN A LOT OF GOOD IDEAS ON THIS THREAD... SOME , NOT SO GOOD.

JUST SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS.

HAPPY HUNTING
PROSPECTORMIKEL

Good thinking. And you might be right, but then, maybe grandpa did have a shovel down there that he kept hid, so no one would see him packing it in. Also, if the treasure was in a hollow tree, etc., by now the tree could be decayed and the treasure covered. But you might have something there. Certainly something to consider.

And yes, Areomike's picture scares me to death. :laughing7:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K.K.,
I THOUGHT ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF THE SHOVEL, AND IF THERE IS ONE, IT WILL BE HIDDEN AND NOT BURRIED. SO, TAKING PICS INSIDE SMALL/COVERED SPACES MIGHT STILL BE THE SAME OUTCOME. I HAVE TAKEN PICS IN PLACES THAT I COULDN'T OTHERWISE SEE INTO. WITH A DIGITAL CAMERA YOU CAN LOOK AT THE PIC RIGHT AWAY, AND YOU KNOW IF THERE IS SOMETHING OUT OF PLACE. CAMERA AND GPS ARE THE BEST TOOLS TO HAVE ON THAT TYPE OF RESEARCH... TAKE A PIC AND SET A WAYPOINT TO MATCH THE PIC... MOVE ON.
DOWN LOAD THE PICS TO A LAPTOP AND TAKE A CLOSER LOOK. IF YOU SEE SOMETHING THAT IS OUT OF PLACE, GO BACK AND TAKE A STICK AND MOVE STUFF AROUND. GET RID OF SNAKES, ETC... THEN REACH IN WITH YOUR HAND IF YOU CAN.

MAKE THE CHOICE THEN TO GO FIND THE GRANDSON OR FILE FOR PERMIT OR WHAT EVER.

PERSONALLY I ALWAYS HAVE GOTTEN PERMISSION FROM LAND OWNER IN ADVANCE AND IN WRITING.

I CAN'T GET OUT ANYMORE WITHOUT HELP DUE TO HEALTH ISSUES. BUT IF I WERE IN GOOD HEALTH THAT IS HOW I WOULD HANDLE THIS ONE, AND I WOULD WORK OUT DETAILS WITH THE GRANDSON IN ADVANCE... I WOULD SHOW HIM WHAT WAS FOUND BUT NOT EXACTLY WHERE IT WAS FOUND. WHEN PLAYING CARDS, I DON'T PLAY WITH MY CARDS FACING THE OTHER GUY. CAN'T WIN THAT WAY.

AND I AM SURE GLAD THAT SOMEONE ELSE THINKS THAT AEROMIKE'S PIC IS FRIGHTENING.
:o

HAPPY HUNTING TO ALL
:coffee2:
PROSPECTORMIKEL
:coffee2: :coffee2:

K

Kentucky Kache

PROSPECTORMIKEL said:
K.K.,
I THOUGHT ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF THE SHOVEL, AND IF THERE IS ONE, IT WILL BE HIDDEN AND NOT BURRIED. SO, TAKING PICS INSIDE SMALL/COVERED SPACES MIGHT STILL BE THE SAME OUTCOME. I HAVE TAKEN PICS IN PLACES THAT I COULDN'T OTHERWISE SEE INTO. WITH A DIGITAL CAMERA YOU CAN LOOK AT THE PIC RIGHT AWAY, AND YOU KNOW IF THERE IS SOMETHING OUT OF PLACE. CAMERA AND GPS ARE THE BEST TOOLS TO HAVE ON THAT TYPE OF RESEARCH... TAKE A PIC AND SET A WAYPOINT TO MATCH THE PIC... MOVE ON.
DOWN LOAD THE PICS TO A LAPTOP AND TAKE A CLOSER LOOK. IF YOU SEE SOMETHING THAT IS OUT OF PLACE, GO BACK AND TAKE A STICK AND MOVE STUFF AROUND. GET RID OF SNAKES, ETC... THEN REACH IN WITH YOUR HAND IF YOU CAN.

MAKE THE CHOICE THEN TO GO FIND THE GRANDSON OR FILE FOR PERMIT OR WHAT EVER.

PERSONALLY I ALWAYS HAVE GOTTEN PERMISSION FROM LAND OWNER IN ADVANCE AND IN WRITING.

I CAN'T GET OUT ANYMORE WITHOUT HELP DUE TO HEALTH ISSUES. BUT IF I WERE IN GOOD HEALTH THAT IS HOW I WOULD HANDLE THIS ONE, AND I WOULD WORK OUT DETAILS WITH THE GRANDSON IN ADVANCE... I WOULD SHOW HIM WHAT WAS FOUND BUT NOT EXACTLY WHERE IT WAS FOUND. WHEN PLAYING CARDS, I DON'T PLAY WITH MY CARDS FACING THE OTHER GUY. CAN'T WIN THAT WAY.

AND I AM SURE GLAD THAT SOMEONE ELSE THINKS THAT AEROMIKE'S PIC IS FRIGHTENING.
:o

HAPPY HUNTING TO ALL
:coffee2:
PROSPECTORMIKEL
:coffee2: :coffee2:

:thumbsup:

Good to see other cache hunters here, thinking as cache hunters.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALLO PROSPECTER MIKEL; you say that you have health problems, without being too nosey, may I ask what they may be?

In any event, start to posting some of your adventures so that they will live beyond you for your great grandkiddies and the TN members here. Remember they will never see the freedoms that you had both in personal life, as well as treasure hunting. We owe that to them.

For starters, I invite you to post here in TN in ---> http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,403112.0.html

Incidentally here is the story of another gentleman that compensated for age related infirmities. a bit racy, but "what the heck"

--> http://holycannoli.posterous.com/herschel-the-magnificent-jew

Don Jose de La Mancha

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I think AeroMike had some excellent points. I too think this area needs to be mapped before further research. There is some reason that grandpa had to orient himself everytime he went on a quest. You need to determine what that was. It probably is a map-related reason.

I think Les is not sharing everything. The card-playing analogy holds up until you see the sleeve-concealed derringer, and by then it's too late.

Les, you know the name. Now it's time to do genealogical research. The grandson may not even be alive now. But until you know, you don't know.

Have you gone to the county tax assessor's office to verify who has owned this piece of land? Were they related? Census reports from 50- 60 years ago should establish whether the grandson was, in fact, living with grandpa when you say he was.

Others have posted excellent data as well. Grandpa didn't take a digging tool with him, so probably it isn't needed. The cache is concealed, not buried (or at least not deeply so).

I get the feeling I would have liked to have met Grandpa - my kind of guy.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Les
You can be long dead before you get permission from the federal government to search for treasure. If the only way to get to that location is by horses, then search not only for the treasure bury by grandpa but loose coins around the buildings. If grandpa wanted his family to have it, he would had told them. I believe being honest, but the single coins and treasure bury by grandpa does not belong to the federal government or to grandson. Sell your old coins through a coin auction. Keep in tough.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Les I've been reading this thread and I have only one question: you said someone told you this story and showed you this site via horse back- why didn't you ask them to introduce you to the grandson? they as neighbors must know who the guy is- they know his name -and it's likely they told you who he is- it's not logical they would bring you to a remote spot and tell you the guys life story, but never reveal his last name... come on man. it's a stretch.

it's now government property- in my opinion the government can mind it's own business: (bottom line here is it's remote, don't get caught!

i respect you not wanting to go back and step on someone else's searching the area, but if it was me I'd search the remote location if I find that treasure I'd pack it out secure it then find that grandson. if he's really a grandson and it belongs to him your choices would be give it to him or walk away with the loot. hard call, but I'd find him and likely give him half of it. half is better then none. the thing is I'd give him his half with out ever disclosing that I had mine. that is only if I did all the leg work and found it (yeah it might sound wrong- but I've been ripped off before- return something that someone lost and they look at you like your stupid and say if I had found that I'd have kept it- duh.), or you could roll up your sleeves, blacken your heart a little and just find it and keep it. providing you manage to keep your mouth shut about finding it. since this story hasn't been updated in a long long time I'd guess you went back, maybe found it and are actually keeping your mouth shut about it. hopefully...

anyhow - thanks for the adventure story- next time post pictures please. :laughing9:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds kind of fishy to me? How did someone see gramps go there without money, and know that he came back with money? Did he have empty hands when he went, and came back with a wad of cash in his hand? I dont think so! Even then, people had pockets! Natural curiosity would make someone follow gramps, if they seen he came back with a Handfull of money, and besides that, someone using the same path would make a trail in the grass or weeds, straight to the cache.
Respecting someones grandsons rights, even though grandson does not own the land anymore? Sorry, nothing in this story makes sense. The common thread to a lot of these Cache stories is someone going off into the bush and hiding or recovering gold or money, and being seen, but for some reason, no one can follow them, even thought maybe only a hundred yards distance. Makes good reading, but think about it, and even try it yourself.

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Great story Les! I think it's very noble that you want to help this man find the cache and not want anything in return. I agree that you probably shouldn't go behind this man's back and try and find the treasure without him knowing, but I feel that you were to help him find it, you should be entitled to a small percentage of the findings.

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated :icon_thumleft:

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Les I believe I would contact a dowser and maybe 2 or more dowsers on this forum and add all the places up that they dowsed for you. The grandson has no right to dig if it is now on national land or a new owner rather than the grandsons place.If you have a dowsed site you are 50% ahead of the game the dowsers on this forum charge nothing and you can pm them also. I've been cache hunting for 42 yrs and I hardly ever go to a site with out having it dowsed and find the owner, most owners after hearing you out will help you or bear with you when they know they arent gonna find it without some kind of help. jmho

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a cool spot in the woods to be, even if you don't find anything

catbird

Oct 18, 2008
raleigh
Detector(s) used
whites XLT
les, this national forest wouldn't be the shawnee national forest would it.........in southern illinois

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread