Cache in my own back yard.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Love this site!? Hello everyone.? My little tale goes like this.? My family has been on the same property for 100 years, the original home on the property was built in the 1870's and still stands today solid as a rock.? When I was a little girl around 4-5 years old, my grandfather asked me to crawl under the old house (it sits way up off the ground) and dig around the pillars.? Now mind you, no one else was there but us.? I recall digging up mason jar after mason jar filled with coins.? I remember there were so many he took them to the bank alittle each week as they were so heavy to carry in bags.? Well when I was 10 he passed away, leaving me the place.? Needless to say years went by and I told my story about digging those coins under that old house.? The reactions were always the same, a grin of doubt followed by "sure you did".? Well recently we did some renovations to the old place, making one section into a garage.? My son was digging out for the concrete pour when suddenly the shovel hit glass and the coins spewed across the ground.? I was so excited I almost wet my pants, after all I had tried to get the family to believe me for years now the proof was right in front of us.? The coins dated back to the 1860's and up to the early 1950's.? I borrowed a detector that day and found many we had missed scattered in the dirt when the jar broke.? And for Christmas this year I begged for a detector.? I've not found anymore mason jars, but I have found a few clad coins and bullets.? I have now borrowed a book on civil war maps, mainly because around 1969 my father found a cannon ball in the wooded area of the property.? Looking at the maps the troops came right down my road.? Its turning out to be a wonderful exciting hobby.? I'm always look forward to the next hunting trip.

tb

Mar 24, 2005
That is awesome! You couldn't have found a better reason to start metal detecting. All of your finds will be truly special since that land has been in your family so long. Good luck and welcome to the site. Keep us updated on your finds.

take care,

tb

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Yep, Very cool story, Welcome to the forum...
Keep an eye out on more of those mason jars... ;D
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
That is too cool Charlene. Would love to see some pics of those coins. The older ones must be in remarkable condition. Welcome. Also I guess you only need to get permission from yourself to hunt....Great to have a site like that.

Dave

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
*Ground Hawk*--*Minelab Quattro*--*Tesoro Tejon*
Charlene.... Great story & congrats on the find!! Now Your hooked!!! Good luck on future hunts as when You or if You got a new detector it is VERY addicting!!! :D

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlene welcome to the site and thank you for such a great story. I pray that you will find more jars around your property. Keep us posted, and maybe some nice pictures ;D

God bless,
Peter

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Love it! Love it! Love it!

OP
OP
Charlene

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone. Here's a picture of the eldest . I tried posting 3 pictures but maybe my IP is acting up, I won't call any names but its initials are AOL.

Attachments

• 1860.jpg
    1860.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,558
OP
OP
Charlene

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tortoist and the Hare method...

Attachments

• a few.jpg
    a few.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,553
  • many.jpg
    many.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,541

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice coins Charlene. They make the hobby more worth while :D

God bless,
Peter

CACHEHNTR

Jan 25, 2006
Hibbing, Mn
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find Charlene. and welcome to the forum ;D this a great place to hang out.

OP
OP
Charlene

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nada, not one gold coin. And if memory serves me right I can only remember seeing sliver coins when I dug up the first mason jars as a child. Thats ok though, I'm happy finding a penny on the street.

O

OKIE

Grate story. Very nice finds ;D
Keep us posted, good luck and happy hunting
Ray

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum, Char. That's a story everyone on here loves to read. It's even better when you show the pictures of the coins. Good luck with the detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread