Cache size question?

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
Since I've never held or seen gold coins up close and personal I know nothing about them so here's a theoretical situation question. I'm asking this thinking that gold coins were made by weight as to their respective value??? So would say four $5 gold coins weigh the same as one $20 gold coin? And take up roughly the same space?

Say I'm looking for $10,000. in gold coins. How big a target could I expect that to be and how much would it weigh?

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think about 83 lbs. and a one half gollon container i think.

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
$10,000 " back then " or $10,000 at todays rates? Just curious, might make a difference in the size... HH Joe

OP
OP
ArkieGold

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
Oh sorry, face value of back then but the denomination is not known. YET! :D

OP
OP
ArkieGold

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
OK my theoretical stash could be 4+ feet deep. So if I was really looking, ok I'm really looking ;D and have been studying the deep detector reviews and such from this forum and others trying to determine what I need to find these kinds of caches. Some say most caches are within two feet deep so they could be gotten to easily. I don't think these are those kind of "post hole bank" types.

TF900 or White's TM808 seem to be the popular vote but would the Garrett with the Hound Dog reach targets of at least the 10K size at depth of 4-6ft ? I like the Whites has the cave function but if I could get by with the Garrett I would be satisfied to have it as able to switch and use as a normal detector. I suppose if I could find one of these I could afford a whole room full of specialty tools/toys ;D

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
You should read "Yoeman's" guide to gold pieces since weight and size
of minted gold coins since 1795 have been slightly altered. Each type
is shown in the "Red Book" with it's gold content and size. A pound of
24K gold is 12 troy ounces. The Mint uses grams as it's measure of
weight so you need a conversion table to determine exact weight of
of the coin and composition of gold/alloy. lastleg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread