caches??

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To modern day people still bury money so that is a hard question to pinpoint a time frame to. Although if you look at it from a historical point of view your time frame was during the Depression and people weren't very trusting of banks at that time.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking. I really wasn't sure when it really died off... I haven't ever tried to go cache hunting and a lot of times have passed over large objects with my detector because I am more of a coin and jewelry hunter.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mreese you could have lost cache's, such as are you in a area that has bad flooding and huricanes ? Do you have empty lots that had old homes that burned down or were condemned and torn down, there could be pieces of scattered caches there.

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more caches were buried during time of social unrest than during calm.think civil war,great depression,election of Obama.......

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you are asking about the long historical aspect, people hide caches more often during times of war and failing governments. Prior to the fed government insuring bank deposits, many people did not trust banks, especially after the economic collapse of the great depression.

The bad news about caches is that they are hard to find. They are rarely buried, most were hidden inside the house where it was easier to watch over. When they were buried, they were often buried in containers of iron, tin, aluminium, etc so you have to dig EVERY type of target including iron. Even if buried in a glass jar, the metal detector does not see the cache as a large single object, it sees the individual coins. How deep can your detector find an individual coin? That's as deep as you could expect to find that type of cache.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the detector detects them as a mass of individual coins (if buried in a glass jar or crockery).
While it won't detect them as deep as a single object of the same size, it will detect the mass deeper than an individual coin.
I would say 20%-50% deeper depending on size.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never found Cache of coins, but I have found a cache of bullets buried 2 feet, and I could still pick it up with the coil raise 2 feet in the air

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found a cache, never looked for one and most likely will never find one. I just always hope by getting out and detecting, I will find one by dumb luck.

O

Old Silver

Are there certain time periods where people would bury coin caches more than other periods? I live in a neighborhood that was built in the 1920s. Is there a good possibility that there may be caches around?

Gold Reserve Act
The United States Gold Reserve Act of January 30, 1934 required that all gold and gold certificates held by the Federal Reserve be surrendered and vested in the sole title of the United States Department of the Treasury.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]
The Gold Reserve Act outlawed most private possession of gold, forcing individuals to sell it to the Treasury, after which it was stored in United States Bullion Depository at Fort Knox and other locations. The act also changed the nominal price of gold from $20.67 per troy ounce to $35. This price change incentivized foreign investors to export their gold to the United States, while simultaneously devaluing the U.S. dollar in an attempt to spark inflation. The increase in gold reserves due to the price change as well as the confiscation clause resulted in a large accumulation of gold in the Federal Reserve and U.S. Treasury. The increase in the money supply lowered real interest rates which increased investment in durable goods.
A year earlier, in 1933, Executive Order 6102 had made it a criminal offense for U.S. citizens to own or trade gold anywhere in the world, with exceptions for some jewelry and collector's coins. These prohibitions were relaxed starting in 1964 – gold certificates were again allowed for private investors on April 24, 1964, although the obligation to pay the certificate holder on demand in gold specie would not be honored. By 1975 Americans could again freely own and trade gold.
Gold Reserve Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is believed that during this time, a lot of people buried or hid their gold. With a penalty of $10,000 and/or up to five to ten years imprisonment, I can believe it.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard about that and I hope someone did bury some gold nearby lol the chances of finding a cache are slim but you never know.

TunnelRat

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, in cache you do find one that has been buried please let us know. :-)

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely will do that lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread