Cahokia Point question (Picture added)

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
Re: Cahokia Point question

I have found one within 5 miles of the mounds here in madison county,but have heard that the midwest is a common place for a point to show up. Noone really knows what happened to the mound people after the Spanish "invaded" the mounds, but i would think that after the tribes disbanded in all directions that the art of making the treasured point would have followed them. Was this a surface find or creek find or river find ?

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have many. They were all found at least 200 miles from Cahokia.
I also have some Mill Creek Chert stuff which the archys told me came from same area.

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have found two cahokia points one tri notch and one four notch. Both of mine were found within fifteen to twenty miles from the mound site. I was told by one of the workers at cahokia mounds that it is common to find them in a 75 mile radius of the mounds and not un-common to find them further away. I would like to see a pic of the point you found if possible. Cahokia points are one of my favorite types.

Flintchasr

OP
OP
werleibr

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia

Mine was a creek find and it was a small creek, so the points farthest originating point would have been 5 miles from were it was discovered. I will work on getting a picture up when I get back home later this week. We are currently spending a couple days in St. Louis for our little one's birthday. It is not a full point as it is missing the tip.

OP
OP
werleibr

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Re: Cahokia Point question Point added

Picture added as requested

Attachments

• cahokia point.jpg
    cahokia point.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 174