Caldor, CA

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone familiar with this old mill town? SW of Grizzly Flats. Nothing there anymore, but there was supposed to be a two story hotel and railroad. Probably a good place for detecting. I was using the mineral resource data overlay on google earth and see there were quite a few placer locations and a couple mines - so I hit LR2000 and found a whole bunch of claims. All but 2 of them closed. Some as recently as 2008 and 2010. Most closed back in the 80's.

Looks like a cool place to visit.

There must be loads of places like this up there.

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is all gone one of the f.s. roads there follows the old narrow gauge r.r. bed there for a while.There is a G.P.A.A. claim right there also.The area is more claimed then the lr2000 is telling you. go to the county and find out as much as you can.It is an area where a lot of the claims are held by locals.Most of the Steely fork is claimed and the accessable drainages.There are tons of spot out there though and miles of roads and atv trails I do not sujjest going alon r leaving your vehicle unattended for to long have fun..

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw due to its age detecting at Caldor is technically forbidden so be careful of those green trucks...the townsite is very visable and right on a main road junction so you will have people driving by.

OP
OP
sidvail

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Btw due to its age detecting at Caldor is technically forbidden so be careful of those green trucks...the townsite is very visable and right on a main road junction so you will have people driving by.

Yeah, I just read that metal detecting is forbidden in those old spots. Makes sense I guess, very historical.

So how does that actually work then if BLM doesn't have it listed as an active claim? It's still valid? I had understood that BLM trumps county records. More to it than that?

And how does the club claim thing usually work? Do they buy the land in most cases? Or just keep active claims? Probably a mix of both?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe gpaa maintains the claim but is subleasing or gains it from individuals who stake and share. blm website is notoriously inacurate all paper work at the county is accurate.gpaa=active claims Ldma=private land

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe GPAA will pick up the fees if you donate the claim to be listed with them. I don't know the details.

OP
OP
sidvail

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
....... blm website is notoriously inacurate all paper work at the county is accurate.......

Darn!

I need to get to the county then. Was gonna double check my BLM figures - but I confess, I thought they were gonna give me most of the info I needed. I had planned on getting up there before spring just to look around. I guess I'd better allot some more time for a county visit then.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
County is usually most current info HOWEVER if a claim that has been registered with the county is not submitted to the BLM within 90 days then it is invalid and you can claim right on top of them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread