kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very small coin that I'm pretty sure is a fake or copy.But wanted to see what y'all think.The coin is about the size as a one dollar gold coin,weigh's 0.7 grams has the date 1858 with a libertyhead on one side and the words California gold 1/2 and a bear on the other side.What should a real coin weigh ? The photos are pretty bad and make it look like spots were the gold may be flaking off but actually there are a couple of dings that appear to be gold and not plated.Thanks in advance ! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 475
  • MVC-009F.JPG
    MVC-009F.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 476
OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Carefully navigate this forum and I am sure you will get your answer whether it is a copy, reproduction or real gold or plated or made of brass.

http://www.calgoldcoin.com/default.htm

Don

Thanks Don,cheakin it out now.If nothing else I cant wait to see my buddys face when I "find" this one. ;D

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
Unfortunately none of the California gold coins had an animal of any type on the back.
Also all of the true coins have some type of denomination marked on them D. Dol. Doll. or Dollar.
Sad to say these are the quick signs between a true coin and a replica.

Joe

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mtntrekr2 said:
Unfortunately none of the California gold coins had an animal of any type on the back.
Also all of the true coins have some type of denomination marked on them D. Dol. Doll. or Dollar.

Joe

These are known as gold tokens, and some are made of gold, the website is not working this morning, but this cache from Google does have explanations (photos not showing) of what some of the known varieties and whether they were gold, gold plated, brass, etc.

http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cach....htm+calgoldcoin.com&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

This is the third or fourth one I have seen posted on various forums this year, I do not think any of the ones found were solid gold varieites, although some finders never followed up with the data.

Don

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
mtntrekr2 said:

Joe

These are known as gold tokens, and some are made of gold, the website is not working this morning, but this cache from Google does have explanations (photos not showing) of what some of the known varieties and whether they were gold, gold plated, brass, etc.

http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cach....htm+calgoldcoin.com&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

This is the third or fourth one I have seen posted on various forums this year, I do not think any of the ones found were solid gold varieites, although some finders never followed up with the data.

Don

Thanks again Don,I cant get the photos to work off this site,But from what I'm reading there leads me to think I have a modern token.The thing that realy makes me think it's modern is the style of the head,looks pretty ...chincy ??

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"As with most collectables, knowledge is king. Beware of unscrupulous characters selling modern replicas or tokens as the real thing. These modern knock off's often have a bear on the reverse, a star, or do not state a denomination. However some fakes can be quite deceptive even for an experienced collector."
Source: http://www.reisbord.com/goldcalfractionals.htm

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
the color isnt even fight to be gold from how the pic looks........ gold is gold is gold.. easy to spot.. once you have saw a real gold coin

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minton7 said:
the color isnt even fight to be gold from how the pic looks........ gold is gold is gold.. easy to spot.. once you have saw a real gold coin

I've seen many gold coins and this coin is the same color....photos dont allways show true color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread