California Gold Production 1848-1995

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was at the CA state mining and mineral museum in Mariposa (well worth the $4 btw) on Friday where I saw this graph of gold production by year and I was honestly blown away just looking at the first few years. Based on my limited knowledge and the graph, it seems like for those first few years there wasn’t much of any hydraulic or dredge mining so that means that a huge portion of the gold recovered in California was just with shovels, pans, and rockers/sluices. So either during the initial rush there was just an astronomical amount of gold seekers all finding their bit of gold, or they really were just picking nuggets from the rivers left and right. Probably both?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family was camping (without me, had to work) last week in Jamestown near woods creek. They texted me that there was 150lb specimen taken out of the creek during the gold rush. They were blown away when I told them it still has nuggets to this day. They were about to dive in with shovels hahaha.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/...-gold-nugget-in-tuolumne-county/103-315687554

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions