California King Snake (with Arizona added)

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
California King Snake

post_snake_californiaking.jpg

I photographed him in a local park in Northern California.
He was about 3' long.

:)

Last edited:

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: California King Snake

Mmmmm snake - is that why its called the King Snake - love me tender ::)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Harry_Morant said:
Mmmmm snake - is that why its called the King Snake - love me tender ::)
All Kingsnakes eat other snakes, so maybe. The Scarlet King (Florida) is the prettiest in my opinion. All Kings are tame and make nice pets. Nice Cali King.

OP
OP
WilliamBoyd

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California

Arizona King Snake

post_snake_arizonaking.jpg

Photograph taken near Flagstaff.
He was about 2' long.

Also known as a Sonora King Snake, Mountain King Snake, or
Scarlet King Snake, and they are found in many parts of the US.

I saw one many years ago near Big Sur, Monterey, California.

:)

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Pretty Garter. That Arizona King is also beautiful. The Florida Scarlet King resembles the poisonous Coral Snake.

Red touch Black,
Good for Jack. scarlet king.jpg

Red touch Yellow,
Kill the Fellow. Coral Snake.jpg

They both like to live under the bark of rotting trees. I remember climbing an East Everglades tree when a loose piece of bark came off in my hand. Trying to cling to the tree and hold my hunting rifle, I had a red, yellow, and black banded snake inches from my face. Now how did that poem go? Red touch yellow?... red touch black? ...or was it jump back?... :D

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
I use to have King Snakes as pets when I was a little tike. Now day I just let them go their way as I go mine.
Thanks for the pictures, I had forgotten how pretty they are.
Happy Hunting..

Desertfox

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Re: yo W

leslie(nova scotia) said:
From the land of the Bluenose.....are tose puppies venomous? Looks like a nasty critter! Nice shot!
Only the Coral Snake is poisonous. They need to bite something small, like a finger, to inject their poison. I dont think they can make a quick strike. The King Snakes are all non-poisonous.

When I was young, my "pet" scarlet escaped in the apt building and the neighbor killed it, bragging to everyone that he killed a Coral. I think everyone should learn their local snakes before going around killing them and bragging about it.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Leslie,
Look at the coloration, it will tell you which ones are poisonous.

As posted above
Red to black= a friend to jack
Red to yellow+ kills a fellow

A coral snake is a poisonous one, it has venom similar to a cobra.

Thom

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
TreasureTales said:
That's one purdy snake. It would make a beautiful hat band. hehehe

Well, this isn't a King Snake, but it is a beautiful animal. It's rare and protected, and indigenous only in San Mateo County. It's the San Francisco Garter Snake.

That snake is absolutely "Flaming" :tongue3:

John

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pic of the King Snake, I believe Feline Peachy posted one here last year from California. I have a few good pics of King Snakes here in NJ. They have been on my property many times and about 10 years ago, I got to catch two of them mating for a couple hours on the property and about 4 years ago, during one of our summer dry spells, one appeared on the cruising the mucky shoreline of my almost dried up pond and he found a watersnake for lunch. Now I really like King Snakes!!! They also love to go down the mole holes, so there is another big plus for them...........

I will have to go thru my CD's but I have a photo of a Scarlet Snake I found while metal detecting many years ago, I never knew such a beautiful small snake like that even existed, yet alone in Southern New Jersey. I will make it a point to look for that photo, I don't think I posted it here before.

Don

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I guess there are many varieties of Scarlet Kings. We also have an Everglades Scarlet. I found one crossing the road and didnt know what it was. I released it.
The pictures I have are from online. I have some old snake pics, but dont have a scanner.
Scarlet Kings can be found by first finding an area that has them. Then go around lifting up old wood or rotting logs. Scarlets and Corals both like to bury themselves under rotting wood or bark.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
I guess there are many varieties of Scarlet Kings. We also have an Everglades Scarlet. I found one crossing the road and didnt know what it was. I released it.
The pictures I have are from online. I have some old snake pics, but dont have a scanner.
Scarlet Kings can be found by first finding an area that has them. Then go around lifting up old wood or rotting logs. Scarlets and Corals both like to bury themselves under rotting wood or bark.

The snake I found was a Scarlet snake, not a Scarlet King Snake :) still looking for the photo, oh the snake was dead, it looked like it had two puncture wounds, maybe from a Hawk. I gave the snake to the County Nature museum, and I checked, they still have it in the same bag, in their freezer!!!

Added:

Here is the old photo, had to take a photo of the photo, LOL, so the quality not up to snuff. This is a NorthernScarlet Snake (Cemphora coccinea copei)
The length varies 14-32 inches. The white undersdie of the Northern Scarlet Snake distinguishes it from the very similar Scarlet Kingsnake which is not found in New Jersey. It is a mostly nocturnal snake. It's range in New Jersey is only in the southern counties.

Don

Attachments

• Scarlet.jpg
    Scarlet.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 855
  • Scarlet2.jpg
    Scarlet2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,003

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Red touches Black, Good for Jack, still holds true.

If the Red touches Yellow, kills a fellow!

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
TreasureTales said:
Don, nice photo (despite being a photo of a photo LOL). That's another very beautiful and colorful snake. If people saw more photos like these, maybe they would come to appreciate snakes a little more. Seems something pretty is more likely to be spared than something drab, like the average gopher snake. Although snakes always startle me when I first see them, they are quite fascinating to watch. I saw a pair of California King Snakes mating once, many years ago, and they seemed to actually caress each other with the full length of their serpentine bodies. I guess that makes me a voyeur? :sign10:

:D John, I got your little pun about the San Francisco Garter Snake. Funny thing is that although it's named after that "flaming" city, the snake is not found in San Francisco. Instead, it is found only in the county immediately south of San Francisco, that being San Mateo County. Weird, huh?

Pretty weird TT, but par for the course for your part of the world huh? Garter snakes are about the only snakes we have around my little slice of heaven, not nearly as "flaming" as yours' though :D

Attachments

• commongartersnake.jpg
    commongartersnake.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 532
OP
OP
WilliamBoyd

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
I have seen only one San Francisco Garter snake.
I was hiking with a lady friend on the southern side of Mt. San Bruno.
I pointed to the snake and she jumped up into the air and ran back 10 feet.
I guess women and snakes don't get along.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Don in SJ said:
I got to catch two of them mating for a couple hours on the property and about 4 years ago,
Don

Jeesh Don,
This is enough info for me to say ...
Buddy, you got too much time on your hands.

LMAO
Thanks for sharing Buddy,
Thom

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if I remember correctly the king snake can be bitten by poisonous snakes and not be affected

Sniffer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions