California miner needs help after USFS employee steals his property from claim

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
California miner needs help after USFS employee steals his property from claim without any notice. Please spread the word.

http://www.jeffersonminingdistrict.com/legal-news/USFS-Terror-USFS-steals-miners-property-from-california%20-miner.html

Kerby Jackson
Chairman - Jefferson Mining District

When will we finally, as a group, stand together against this criminal assault on a fellow miner?

Oh, so you're too busy huh?

I'll venture to guess that if it was your property stolen in an illegal act, you'd make the time to be involved...

There is power in numbers.. why can't most of you understand that?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Hefty1,
If you need financial help for a lawyer I'm sure the forum community would be willing to help with what they can to help ease the cost for you. After all you are fighting this for us also not just for your property. You are sending the message we won't lie down any longer. I will certainly contribute!

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!

B H Prospector

Thanks for the offer B H.

OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Hefty, i saw your story on another site. If it helps your cause, there's a clear image of your camp on google earth on dated 8-29-2011. If you can show your
winter stash was nearby, they have to admit lying about it not on your claim. good luck.

Thanks Fullpan, I already have that in file.

pops9653

Apr 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get your local news on the Sheriff since he is an elected official not doing his job. Maybe you need a new Sheriff get behind someone like the AZ sheriff. Or run for sheriff yourself. There shouldn't be any problem prosecuting the thief as he left a note telling you he stole your stuff. They have already Lawyered up at the USFS that is why they are not accepting your certified mail. Have them served by a process server.

Get a Lawyer. All of us need an Association that can fight for us and give us some bite.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because i think this is the tipping point, the line in the sand, i pledge $1,000 in matching funds to your cause. It's now time to show these paper shufflers how
deep our passion for individual rights are.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To clarify my post this morning. Mark, i don't know you and you don't know me, but i can see from photos on another site you are a professional, running a
clean operation. I did the same thing for ten years on the South Fork of the Yuba River in the mid 1980's. I witnessed two years of blasting to cut a trail for
hikers from Poorman's Creek to Missouri Bar. Prior to trail building, I never saw a ranger of any agency, a couple of prospectors, a few fishermen, no kayakers
or rafters, in short i was alone. After the trail, it started getting crowded and i was getting older, so i gave it up (except for weekends).

Just so you know, I'm
a retired placer miner offering some help to another miner. Signed - Richard Engstrand P.S. Anytime you need it, contact me. I can send a cashiers check or gold - your call.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fullpan, i deleted your contact info, send it to him directly, it is not a good idea to post it, with the amount of traffic here many unregisteted, someone could take advantage of you

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, way to go Richard. I'm just coming out of some real hard times but plan on contributing to causes like this soon also.

Mike

OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Thanks Fullpan, for the generous offer.

Got a phone call from Congressman McClintocks aid yesterday and they are looking into this.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been quiet here since April but thought it was about time I stepped back in to add my two cents worth.

"Hefty 1" has put a lot of work and effort into this matter not to mention a lot of time, thought and mental anguish/torment. All of us have a share in what he has done, is doing and will do as whatever happens from his work over this incident will affect all of us nation wide. When his accusors have replied to his requests they have been less than accurate, they have not acted to preserve his rights but have usurped them and in general his accusors have been inept in their duties and statements. I feel he has a good case and if it progresses to the point of a court action then I feel all of us should pitch in and help him along as a win in court over this matter could have some far reaching repercussions that could benefit all of us and at a minimum Ding the "authorities" down a notch or two. A good number of folks have already raised their hands with offers of funding and I applaud them and wish to join their ranks. At the beginning of April I started a full time job and it seems to be going well and its timing was right as I was nearly broke. As long as the job continues I will also offer up a $1,000.00 pledge towards legal fees and such. This lawless disregard of our rights as well as the disregard for the laws of the United States of America has got to be stopped and it will take time and Dollars to do it so I'm in!

Hefty, I have some idea of what you are going through. Keep going, do not give in, you have a group of people who are there in spirit with you and we thank you for your efforts that will benefit all of us.

My Best Regards.........63bkpkr

OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
I, Mark Hepfner (Hefty) will take this fight to the bitter or blissful end.

I am a Proud Man and have never had to do this before in my life. But this will be an expensive fight, one I can not afford by myself .

So with that said I will bow my head and ask for help.

I, Mark Hepfner (Hefty) am asking for all to help me fight this fight, with any funds you can afford to send.

Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks 63bkpkr and minerjoe and others who have jumped in. this is the first time i've ever pledged more than 5 bucks for any cause in my life. i hope
the rest of you viewers will see the importance of mark's actions on behalf of all private citizens rights against all-powerful government agencies. if you have
a spare change jar, sending that to mark will help! and Mark, keep us up to date on developments. - Fullpan

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The following is part of a hiking trail description in the downieville area of calif. "The route follows the old dirt road...for two miles. It passes through an area
where miners are allowedto camp; please do not disturb any equipment or take anything even if it looks abandoned." This is the way it's supposed to work!!
- Fullpan

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Hey Guys and Gals, I went directly to the the Website where you can send an email to all the members of the US House Committee on Natural resources here is the link. https://naturalresourcesforms.house.gov/Contact/default.aspx I sent them the following email. Hope it helps!

Dear House Committee on Natural Resources Members,

On February 1st, 2012, employees of the United States Forest Service, namely LEO Tom Madrigal, came to the Golden Eagle Mine California Mining Claim # 0280109 owned by Mark Hepfner and stole his property, which included, but was not limited to water pumps, sluice boxes, a wheel barrow, hoses, tools, wet suits, a winch, tents, sleeping bags, air mattresses, stove, pots and pans, coffee pot, tarps, rope, and all the other things that are typically used by a miner.
The Golden Eagle Mining Claim is very clearly and plainly marked, not to mention the fact that claim records are publicly available from BLM. USFS employees violated Mr. Heffners rights by not following through with their fiduciary duties to protect his property and instead unlawfully confiscated and destroyed his property. You can get more information at the following link:
USFS Terror: USFS Employee Steals California Miner's Property
It seems that now days individual rights are being trampled underfoot with no regard to the law, even by those sworn to uphold those laws. As committee members of the House Committee on Natural Resources and representatives of the people, I respectfully ask that you look into this matter and to propose rules of conduct for the United States Government employees, of the United States Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service employees, etc., to follow in doing their duties in protecting the rights and property of mining claim owners throughout the United States. Your attention to this matter and follow through will be noted and appreciated.
Sincerely,
Pete Rosario (A Concerned Citizen)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done theseeker (aka: Peter),

That is an interesting move! Please post any response from that body.

Regards.............63bkpkr

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
YES! thats a very good letter! i hope this is only the start of more letters comeing in for people that have been taken advantage of, instead of turning tail!

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
I will update this thread with any responses I receive from any member of the commitee on Natural Resources. The crew in the Shipwreck forum recently flooded the State of Florida House and Senate members with emails regarding a bill that contained verbage that would have made it illegal for anyone to dig and remove objects older than 50 years on their own private property and in any State owned lands and waters. There was so much response that the bill was killed on the floor and withdrawn before a vote. I figure if enough people did the same with members of the Committee on Natural Resources in Washington our voice may be heard. These are the folks who are crafting the laws that are impacting us all. If we are not diligent in our vigil and speak out to those making laws that restrict or abuse our freedoms like what was done to Mark Hepfner and his family, we are screwed and have no one to blame but ourselves. Though I have never prospected for gold and other precious metals and gems, I would like to do it some day and am planning a future trip to Galt in California between Sacramento and Lodi. Got some old friends there that have access to private property in the area. Will keep all posted if I hear anything from the folks in Washington. Hope a bunch of you will send emails to them to voice your concerns.

Almost forgot, there is a petition that needs to be signed to stop the NOAA from turning a lot of the Atlantic coast and Gulf Coast into a marine sanctuary. You know what happens under the guise of "Sanctuary" and environmental areas. They get eventually are restricted to public activity and use. Sorry for the long post but if you would take the time to read and go to the link to sign the petition, that would be great!

Hey all sign the petition at the bottom of this and spread this around !!

Sanctuary Alert! This affects Everyone on the coasts of the USA We need to Fight this
This just in from Pat Clyne on Facebook.Spread it around to all your treasure hunting friends also,scuba divers,surfers,kiteboarders,fisherman and anyone that goes to the beach or oceans and g
ulf.
The “Mother” of all Battles:
We thought it would be appropriate to form this group today, May 13th, to express a dire urgency to ALL people, especially those living on our coastlines and those who visit, that your rights to our ocean’s waterways are being threatened by a startling number of bureaucrats and legislators in Washington who are planning a strategic ‘coup’ to take away individual State’s rights by federalizing our country’s coastlines and banning certain activities that we as a people have enjoyed since becoming a free nation.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA) is feverishly trying to pass legislation to form and extend Marine Sanctuaries on our East Coast before the Nov. elections. Although many may believe that this is a protective move to save our oceans resources (which is precisely how they present it and what they want you to believe), it is nothing more then a “Taking” of our rights to continue to practice our freedoms to enjoy and work in our professions.
Ask any fisherman, wreck diver, private salvor, or boating enthusiast living in a Marine Sanctuary and they will tell you how their rights to pursue their chosen endeavor has been either harshly restricted or totally banned once these Sanctuary’s are in place.
They MUST be STOPPED! And the only way that can happen is for us, the people of this country, who have been given this responsibility, to tell our government officials WE want to STOP this NOW! If we don’t do it NOBODY else will.
In the coming days and weeks we will be posting more information on this latest government intrusion on our private lives and ask you to participate in this “Coastline Coalition” of like minded individuals who want to see our present freedoms on the sea remain intact. Thank You.
Here is one way to help STOP the Sanctuary's Expansion:
http://www.change.org/petitions/noaa..._inviter_modal

OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Cant get into to many details just yet....but the FS is backpeddling fast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread