California Now Confiscating Legally Purchased Guns

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
packerbacker:

Did you do any research other than read the original article (which, despite your slight, I did read)?

How about "The state hired 20,000 more officers in preparation for the new confiscation legislation." Sound remarkably similar to that nonsense about the IRS hiring thousands of new agents to enforce Obamacare. Remember that lie?

It's possible the state of California added 20,000 new officers just to take guns away from people who shouldn't have them. Absent more evidence than has been presented so far, I'll continue to rather doubt it.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Taking a legally-owned firearm away from someone because someone else in the family has a mental health issue is not a solution I support.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
Thank you. Seriously. Even though you appear to be ignoring me.. LoL.. Figuring out just exactly what your position on some of the issues is is not always easy when you pick and choose the questions you feel like answering. As for Adam Lanza's mother she had a legal right to have those guns but she also had a "common sense" responsibility to know that her son had serious problems and to make absolutely sure he had no access to them AND to do all she could to get him some professional help. I realize she paid the ultimate price for that failure but even if she hadn't it's my opinion that she shares some of the responsibility for what happened. Parents these days need to be parents. Not "buddies" and not too busy trying to make a paycheck to pay attention to what's going on in their own home. It's a tough call on this one. She most certainly had every right to have those guns but she failed miserably in keeping them under her control. What the answer is, I have no idea.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OB,

Yes, and the fact that his mother wasn't any safer having guns in her house was obvious from the results of her being murdered by him. She had her weapons locked up but the son knew where the key was, BTW.

The remainder of, and the main body of, your statement in that post then stated that all those innocent children were shot 10-12 times each by a mentally ill person who had weapons, leaving it at that and leaving the very wrong impression thus trying to make your point by exclusion of all the facts! You forgot to mention that he stole the weapons he used in that horriffic shooting since he was unable to legally buy weapons himself due to his mental problems. Your exclusion of important facts that should have been added to your statement, in order to make it truthfully complete, negates your statement in both fact and relevancy, in my opinion, for the purpose it was intended, regarding the killing of those children.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
let's say the Gov comes up with enough true stats that prove gun ownership is causing more innocent deaths than saving innocent lives, then uses these stats to take the guns away from all.

Then let's say after the confiscation, the stats reverse and lots more innocent lives are taken by criminals who kept their guns. Is anyone dumb enough to think that the Fed Gov will honor the new stats and give the guns back?...That is why guns should never be confiscated in the first place, period.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Unclebuck257:

My point was that all rights must be balanced. The school children shot down in cold blood didn't wind up with any rights.

Locking up guns is a first step. Letting a mentally ill son know where the key is located isn't a good second one.

The killer got his hands on a gun. Frankly, I don't even want to write his name. I think the news media should not publish the names of these mass killers who then kill themselves. At least, not after the first day or so.

That he obtained a gun and killed those kids remains a fact. Whether he bought it or stole it he still had it. The system worked to the extent that his attempts to purchase a firearm through one or more of the available legal channels failed. A seriously mentally ill individual obtained a weapon and killed far too innocent children.

Back to the start of this thread. The state of California is actually doing something about taking guns away from people who, by law, should not have them. I continue to fail to see how that's a bad thing. The fact those people legally obtained the weapons is beside the point. People can vote until they are convicted of a felony. Then they lose that right. People sent to prison lose their freedom. Situations change.

Is California going too far? Where's the evidence of that? I don't find it helpful to either speculate on wild extreme possibilities (that quickly leads to black helicopters on the front lawn; or Chinese troops knocking on the front door) or for people to push their positions via reductio ad absurdum.

The "only outlaws will have guns" position can be applied to any law. Every important law on the books has been broken. Does that mean we simply shouldn't have laws? Is Somalia a paradise on earth?

People who are happy with the current state of affairs aren't going to work to change anything. Those who believe we can do better - and I am happy to put myself in that camp - will continue to find a way to reduce the number of needless murders.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Unclebuck257:

I would certainly agree with you that we have to be very careful of the rights of ALL people. Including school children. Those shot ten and twelve times just a year ago didn't have many rights, did they? Killed by a mentally ill (by general agreement) person. His Mom had numerous guns in her home. Didn't appear to make her any safer.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
You probably don't remember this one... It wasn't plastered all over the news for weeks on end.. Media Ignore Story of School Gunman Stopped By Armed Teacher

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Unclebuck257:

My point was that all rights must be balanced. The school children shot down in cold blood didn't wind up with any rights.

Locking up guns is a first step. Letting a mentally ill son know where the key is located isn't a good second one.

The killer got his hands on a gun. Frankly, I don't even want to write his name. I think the news media should not publish the names of these mass killers who then kill themselves. At least, not after the first day or so.

That he obtained a gun and killed those kids remains a fact. Whether he bought it or stole it he still had it. The system worked to the extent that his attempts to purchase a firearm through one or more of the available legal channels failed. A seriously mentally ill individual obtained a weapon and killed far too innocent children.

Back to the start of this thread. The state of California is actually doing something about taking guns away from people who, by law, should not have them. I continue to fail to see how that's a bad thing. The fact those people legally obtained the weapons is beside the point. People can vote until they are convicted of a felony. Then they lose that right. People sent to prison lose their freedom. Situations change.

Is California going too far? Where's the evidence of that? I don't find it helpful to either speculate on wild extreme possibilities (that quickly leads to black helicopters on the front lawn; or Chinese troops knocking on the front door) or for people to push their positions via reductio ad absurdum.

The "only outlaws will have guns" position can be applied to any law. Every important law on the books has been broken. Does that mean we simply shouldn't have laws? Is Somalia a paradise on earth?

People who are happy with the current state of affairs aren't going to work to change anything. Those who believe we can do better - and I am happy to put myself in that camp - will continue to find a way to reduce the number of needless murders.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
I absolutely agree there need to be changes. We need to stop feeling sorry for criminals who commit murder and giving them plea deals that result in them being released after serving 5 years and crap like that. You kill someone, you pay with a life sentence. Even if you do come from a broken home and even if you do offer to rat on all the other scumbags you hang around with. One more time.. Punishing the innocent solves nothing and only creates more potential victims. ps... I think ol bookie has me on ignore. Didn't there used to be a way to see who had you on their ignore list ? I can't remember how to check. SWR used to play a game putting me on and taking me off back when his curiosity got the best of him when he was here but he's nothing more than a bad memory unless he's back under a new name. Kidz these days.... Just curious... lol

Last edited:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I absolutely agree there need to be changes. We need to stop feeling sorry for criminals who commit murder and giving them plea deals that result in them being released after serving 5 years and crap like that. You kill someone, you pay with a life sentence. Even if you do come from a broken home and even if you do offer to rat on all the other scumbags you hang around with. One more time.. Punishing the innocent solves nothing and only creates more potential victims. ps... I think ol bookie has me on ignore. Didn't there used to be a way to see who had you on their ignore list ? I can't remember how to check. SWR used to play a game putting me on and taking me off back when his curiosity got the best of him when he was here but he's nothing more than a bad memory unless he's back under a new name. Kidz these days.... Just curious... lol

A wise man once said, "Speak not into the ears of a fool, lest you be despised for the wisdom of your words". Don't worry about the fools, the rest of us are listening!

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OB,

You are a true believer and I guess for you, that's good! You may be holding the opposing view to mine on many things but at least you stand there and fight and don't go all wishy washy. Everyone knows where you stand and you're not afraid to say where that stand is! I can neither begin to understand it, nor can I even begin to agree with it, but I must give you credit for standing by your beliefs, as misguided and absolutely wrong as I feel they are, especially regarding weapons and weapons ownership etc.

I doubt seriously if our two different ways of thinking about this subject will ever come together and agree, so for now I'm going to leave it at that with you. WAIT A MINUTE!! Got it figured out I think! You're wrong and I'm right! There, don't you feel better, I know I do!! LOL!! Have a good day my friend!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
OB,

You are a true believer and I guess for you, that's good! You may be holding the opposing view to mine on many things but at least you stand there and fight and don't go all wishy washy. Everyone knows where you stand and you're not afraid to say where that stand is! I can neither begin to understand it, nor can I even begin to agree with it, but I must give you credit for standing by your beliefs, as misguided and absolutely wrong as I feel they are, especially regarding weapons and weapons ownership etc.

I doubt seriously if our two different ways of thinking about this subject will ever come together and agree, so for now I'm going to leave it at that with you. WAIT A MINUTE!! Got it figured out I think! You're wrong and I'm right! There, don't you feel better, I know I do!! LOL!! Have a good day my friend!
Unclebuck that's all touching & stuff and I even agree about standing up for your opinion, right or wrong. What makes me angry and gets my blood boiling is when politicians and the government try to FORCE their opinions on those of us who disagree and use lies and scare tactics to get there. People who support those tactics are no better in my opinion. The old saying "don't pi$$ down my back & tell me it's raining" comes to mind. However I do respect the right to freedom of speech as much as I do the right to keep & bear arms and once wore a uniform in the defense of those rights as have my ancestors for the last 240 years.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Unclebuck257:

You are a pleasure to have a discussion with.

I thank you for your compliments - but may I point out you don't know my views?

I assure you they are open to change based on evidence - I'll take facts, reason or logic.

Some people might argue we don't have a problem in this country. I simply cannot accept that.

The logical first step would be to try to find some middle ground. Are you happy with the current state of affairs? Are you comfortable with the recent number of mass shootings? The United States has a remarkably high rate of private gun ownership. Is your suggested solution more guns? Or?

Please take my questions as being serious. California has a well thought out program to take guns away from people whom, by law, should not have them. I believe the program is some twenty years old. And don't buy the story about 20,000 new officers just to "confiscate" guns.

Does it make sense to you if someone has a serious mental health condition they not be allowed to continue to own firearms? Does it makes sense to you that people convicted of either a felony or a violent misdemeanor not be allowed to own firearms?

I will tell you this. I'm sick and tired of so-called "white collar" criminals getting breaks because they were rich or "non-violent." No contributions to the DNA bank. Serve time in prison light. Pleas to the judges that the crooks' families "have suffered enough" so prison time isn't necessary.

I also don't think our prison system should be overflowing with non-violent drug offenders, or third strikers who are serving life for taking a candy bar.

It costs more to keep a person in a California prison for a year than it does to send that same person to a state university. We are not allocating our limited resources wisely.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo I

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The enabling legal system is broken! It operates like a permissive parent...In my opinion!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
squiggy:

The United States already incarcerates a higher percentage of our population than almost any other "First" World nation. Is locking more people up going to solve our problems?

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The enabling legal system is broken! It operates like a permissive parent...In my opinion!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4

You are correct...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is throwing the gates open at the border the answer ? By my quick math there's over 350,000 illegals in US prisons when you add federal, state & local numbers together. At a cost of over a Billion dollars. Criminal Aliens (2012)

You don't reward people who breaks our immigration laws with lifetime work permits, you deport them and reward the aliens trying to immigrate her legally with those visas.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gettin out of hand dont ya think

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Treasure Hunter:

An interesting sidelight on people coming to the US for work.

When Caesar Chavez helped found the United Farmworkers Union, legal immigrants working in agriculture came from many parts of the world. The UFW worked long and hard to see that people were paid the money they were owed, pesticide use was safe, there were toilets in the fields, that the short-handled hoe be banned, etc.

The UFW also believed workers should be legal. They went to the Texas-Mexico border and pushed people trying to cross back in the Rio Grande.

The UFW was a success, and the farm owners tried to introduce a yellow dog union to compete against it. That didn't work.

Suddenly the borders were open and hundreds of thousands of illegal workers came into the US to take agricultural jobs.

A coincidence? There are plenty of people here who believe in far more conspiracies than I do - but the dots on this one are not hard to connect.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
post a story from someone no one knows and everyone runs with it. I never heard of the guy or saw any newsorg attribution. anyone even think to check if it's accurate?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
post a story from someone no one knows and everyone runs with it. I never heard of the guy or saw any newsorg attribution. anyone even think to check if it's accurate?

Don't know, have you done any checking....

I find it by multiple authors on multiple websites....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread