california platinum

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are any of you finding platinum in California , i am finding something with my gold , super fine , as heavy or heavier than the gold of equal size , historically my county has produced platinum in some locations , i will get an assay , curious if anyone else is finding any , thanks

Upvote 0

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i see it i my clean ups,but i was told that its not worth saving.because it cost so much to process.
good luck brad

OP
OP
dredgernaut

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does it look white ish to silver ish and ultra fine , thanks

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does it look white ish to silver ish and ultra fine , thanks

I wouldn't know...I have never seen platinum before...lol

You might want to ask Cubfan what it looks like...I think that he might be able to tell ya'll what it looks like...I could be wrong though...hehehe...It might look a lot like mica...

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i see it i my clean ups,but i was told that its not worth saving.because it cost so much to process.
good luck brad
Don't believe anyone that says that it isn't worth saving. Check the prices online, then have your information source send you all of their platinum "waste".

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck brad

See it in your clean ups?

Its heavier than gold. So just as easy to catch with gravity.

3/4 off any gold forum is about guys chasing .02 cents of flypoop around a gold pan and making sure they get it all in their sluices.

if your seeing platinum and throwing it out because its hard to process your throwing out easy money.

G

ghostminer

We have platinum in our fines. It looks silver in color. I also use a blue bowl to process black sands for testing purposes and find it in there also. Our mines are in Plumas County. The historical records kept in the late 1800's by mining engineer John A Edmond state our mine had 1 part platinum to every 10 parts gold & the platinum was found in the "fine sands".

OP
OP
dredgernaut

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is such a fine material almost micro , but it has really built up in my pan , i have been panning my ultra fine cons lately ,pan after pan after pan without cleaning out , it looks to be a couple teaspoons mixed in , when i finish these buckets I'm gonna send in a batch of black sands for processing , its the accumulation of black sands fine gold and this what i believe to be platinum and send it to a smelter , platinum group metals cost more to process , but benefit should out way cost of process significantly if I'm correct , and if I'm wrong at least i will know whats in my ground , and if anybody wants to discard platinum i will take it. thanks

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
southern mines area mother load
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pt is in the beach placer around Crescent city, tertiary Klamath along gold bluff too! I find some every time I go up that way....

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can separate pretty well with a table

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i think the point is that gold is gold when it comes out of the ground and platinum takes a lot of money to make into the platinum that you see the high prices for.right?
brad

OP
OP
dredgernaut

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i do agree with parts of that 1637 , and i appreciate your replies , I'm no expert but platinum comes out of the ground as platinum as well , from fines to nuggets , unless you talking high grade ore and black sands with mineral content , I'm talking about flour platinum that is mixed with my flour gold , when i did my research i was able to find a company that does smelting and assay ,and even batch processing , i can send in a 40 lb. batch of material and have processed for $175.00 , so if i have lots of accumulated black sands that i am sure carry good values and have flour gold and platinum mixed in , . it may be worth having an occasional small batch of my best fines processed , if i can see at least a teaspoon of platinum in my pan after running 15% of a bucket , then i can fit a lot of platinum into a 40 lb. batch , platinum is just harder and denser than gold , , so it takes much higher heat and probably a different flux to smelt together , but if the accumulated batch does carry good content then who cares about the 175 bucks , i think anyways ,

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Platinum is an element.
Gold is an element.
Silver is an element.

They all are found naturally alloyed with other metals and salts.
Nuggets are metals alloyed with other metals.

Only silver of all those elements is found in a pure state in nature and that is very rare.
Platinum, Gold and Silver all must be refined from their natural state to make them salable on the open market.

Not sure why anyone would charge more for refining Platinum than Gold when they are free milling. In my experience you get paid the agreed percentage for refined metals no matter which element they are.

Anyone who believes Platinum is too much trouble to sell can send it to me. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I want to buy a sample of California platinum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread