ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like calling. It just gives a busy (or lazy) employee the easy option to say that they don't have any. Its much easier to lie over the phone than to someone's face.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with ArkieBassman. I would never call just to ask "you guys got any halves?" Gives them time to make sure to check everything for silver before you come in, as well as possibly be lazy enough to just say no like previously said.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The only time I call ahead is if I'm checking to see if any boxes I've ordered came in.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always just walk in and buy whatever denomination they can give me.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always walk in. Doesn't give them much a chance to pick through anything before I get there, haha.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you call the banks ahead of time to see if they have what you're looking for or do you simply walk in?
I've never even found a CWR anywhere but I'll be passing through a different area with 10-20 banks close by each other and I also only have an account at 1 of the banks. Should I call or walk in? Thanks fellow CRHers! [emoji4]

:hello2: This type of question was asked on Mar 5, 2013. My reply was posted than. You can look up my reply on that date. BTY I said to not call ahead but stop & walk in.
HH
Gary

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always call. I call so I don't waste time going to a bunch of banks that don't have anything. Then I hit the ones that have $20-$150 worth. (Best luck I've found with this range). If u walk into a bank & ask for halves, the first thing the teller asks is "do u have an account?" If u don't, game over. If u call ahead, they've already promised them to you. I don't think they lie about what they have over the phone - why would they? That doesn't make sense. And they aren't gonna look thru them just cuz someone called - they're either cherry pickers or they aren't. There are 100+ banks in my town - not enough time to go to them all. If there were like 5 I'd just go in.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you call the banks ahead of time to see if they have what you're looking for or do you simply walk in?
I've never even found a CWR anywhere but I'll be passing through a different area with 10-20 banks close by each other and I also only have an account at 1 of the banks. Should I call or walk in? Thanks fellow CRHers! [emoji4]

I think calling ahead also takes a little of the fun away from the hobby. I understand it can eat up extra time or gas, jumping from bank to bank, but I love the hunting aspect of it.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always call. I call so I don't waste time going to a bunch of banks that don't have anything. Then I hit the ones that have $20-$150 worth. (Best luck I've found with this range). If u walk into a bank & ask for halves, the first thing the teller asks is "do u have an account?" If u don't, game over. If u call ahead, they've already promised them to you. I don't think they lie about what they have over the phone - why would they? That doesn't make sense. And they aren't gonna look thru them just cuz someone called - they're either cherry pickers or they aren't. There are 100+ banks in my town - not enough time to go to them all. If there were like 5 I'd just go in.

I know they don't go through them when someone calls in, haha. What I should have said was, I feel when I call and a person answers the phone that is not behind the teller line, then they say "let me ask the tellers". If the bank happens to have a line of customers and a teller isn't available to ask, they could just put me on hold and not ask at all, then get back on the phone and say "sorry, I checked with the tellers and we don't have any today." When they actually have X amount and I wouldn't know since I didn't go to the bank and ask the tellers myself.

I also tend to have the best luck with the $20-$150 range too. I just scored 18 40s and 2 90s yesterday out of $70 CWR at one bank. It's out there.

HH

Vdubguy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread