Do you reckon these guys are hunting the bags for silver?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
$196,000 in quarters stolen by Brink's worker, feds say - CNN.com

By Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN

(CNN)Stephen Lancaster Dennis wanted change, federal prosecutors say.

The Harpersville, Alabama, man has agreed to plead guilty to a count of bank theft after using his position with the Brink's armored transport service to abscond with $196,000 -- all in quarters.

This is according to Joyce White Vance, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Alabama, and Roger Stanton, special agent in charge of the FBI's Birmingham Division.

"What Mr. Dennis may have thought was a nickel and dime theft was, in the end, the equivalent of a major bank heist," Stanton said in a news release. "Now, he will be a convicted felon who must repay all the stolen money."

Get it? Nickel and dime? Stanton wasn't the only one in the mood for puns.

Vance coined one herself: "This defendant may have thought he had quite a haul when he took nearly $200,000 in quarters from the Federal Reserve's coin storage at Brink's, but now he carries a heavier load. He must repay the money and face a federal sentence."

The feds provided no motive in their news release, so it's unclear if Dennis was possessed by some dark predilection for Pac-Man or vending machines.

The two-bit crook -- or more accurately, the 1.568 million-bit crook -- was a money processing manager for the Brink's Birmingham branch when he stole the money belonging to the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, authorities said. As part of his plea agreement, the Justice Department said, he must repay Brink's, which has already reimbursed the Federal Reserve.

So, how does one make off with 9,800 pounds in quarters? That's almost 5 tons, roughly the weight of a pair of Toyota Priuses or mid-sized giraffes.

Well, the Justice Department news release isn't abundantly clear on how Dennis got the coins out of the Brink's facility. But according to charging documents and Dennis' plea agreement, the 49-year-old had access to the Federal Reserve coin inventory, which included so-called ballistic bags containing quarters in $50,000 increments. The bags were stored on skids in the doubtless aptly named Coin Room.

An April 2014 audit of the coin inventory showed that four of the bags had been filled mostly with beads. Those bags each contained only $1,000 in quarters, which had been strategically situated so the coins were visible through a plastic window in the necks of the bags, according to federal authorities.

Upon investigation, authorities determined that Dennis had entered the Brink's facility on February 16, 2014 -- a day off for the Harpersville man -- and collected four empty skids and four empty ballistics bags, which he filled with beads, the Justice Department said. He then placed the skids and bags in the coin room, authorities said.

The theft took place between January 1, 2014, and February 20, 2014, the news release said.

Dennis faces a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. That's a million-quarter fine, or 216,000 more quarters than Dennis stole.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was my first thought when I saw the update this Morning :laughing7:

they should have to help with bail

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told you everyone that the coins don't belong to the courier. Now here's the proof!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if they were looking for Silver they went after the wrong denomination lol.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proof that the Federal Reserve Bank stores bulk bags of quarters in a remote coin vault at Brinks? Was that ever contested? Many CRH forum members spread misinformation as fact, but I do not recall that being one of the misconstructions.

Anyway, there is no need to look to this news story as proof of anything. The facts of the entire chain of ownership of coins is clearly spelled out in official FRB publications.

For the most part, local banks buy/sell coin from/to the Federal Reserve Bank [FRB] that services its accounts. Brinks/Garda/Loomis/Dunbar [BGLD] are often sub-contractors of the FRB. In those cases, BGLD transport, store, count, roll, and do accounting on behalf of the FRB. Some local banks might use BGLD as a remote vault and/or coin processor, but that is an anomaly, not the norm.

The FRB owns the coin while at BGLD (except for brief periods around incoming and outgoing activity).

On the "deposit" side (when coin is shipped to BGLD for deposit to local bank's account), the local bank owns the coin up until it is accepted on the BGLD dock. After that, the dollar value is credited to the local bank's account and the FRB owns the coin. The amount credited by FRB to local bank can be adjusted after the coin is count-confirmed at BGLD.

On the "withdrawl" side (when coin is shipped from BGLD in response to local bank's coin order), the local bank owns the coin from the time it is staged for transport on BGLD dock. The FRB debits the local bank's account once the coin is set to leave the BGLD dock.

I agree that Brinks rarely owns cash or coin (if ever). I disagree with the many who say that the local bank owns the coin throughout the rolling and boxing that goes on at Brinks. I disagree with any who say that local banks are selling coin to Brinks, not to the FED.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The article said the coins belong to the fed and people on here are always saying they are pulling out silver at the packing facility. I'm just saying the only legal way they can do that is if instructed by the fed.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told you everyone that the coins don't belong to the courier. Now here's the proof!

Kind of. You're correct...sort of.

The courier collects bags of coins from banks. The courier then deposits that amount into the bank's account at the Fed. They do NOT deposit the coins themselves. Therefore, technically, the coins are more or less now the "property" of the courier to reroll and box up to be sent out again.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm stealing someone else's quote because I like it so much. I would give credit if I remembered who . . .

That's a lot of gumballs Popeye!

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The article said the coins belong to the fed and people on here are always saying they are pulling out silver at the packing facility. I'm just saying the only legal way they can do that is if instructed by the fed.

The article said, bulk bags of coin. Type that we never see, of course they belong to the fed. How ever from the moment the guard picks up the 1000$/500$ bags of coins from local banks till it is counted and noted and gets deposited into the fed, those coins belong to the banks. It seems like they were stealing from the bulk bags, which does belong to the fed. I'm going for a interview at a pack facility, if I get the job I'll report back the process... So we can end this once and for all.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The article said, bulk bags of coin. Type that we never see, of course they belong to the fed. How ever from the moment the guard picks up the 1000$/500$ bags of coins from local banks till it is counted and noted and gets deposited into the fed, those coins belong to the banks. It seems like they were stealing from the bulk bags, which does belong to the fed. I'm going for a interview at a pack facility, if I get the job I'll report back the process... So we can end this once and for all.

LOL.. Good luck Liu21. Glad you live on the East Coast where the CRHing is better. It all depends on the job that you are applying for. The Loomis guys that I've spoken to were all transporters. They hated coins. They said there were cameras everywhere and that typically coins from the different banks do not co-mingle.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . .They said ... that typically coins from the different banks do not co-mingle.

Sounds like empty speculation on their part.
This news article shared by OP says that the accused took 4 ballistic bags of quarters ($50k each) from the coin room. I wonder if your sources believe that all 800,000 of those quarters are from the same bank (rather than a mix from all banks with accounts at the regional FRB).

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ADS!! Sounds like your typical two-bit thief to me!! He He!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing I have to consider on this theft. Just what in the heck was this guy thinking he would do with all those quarters? I mean like it would take him the rest of his life to spend them all. I have to figure that the FBI would be watching for lot's of quarter dumping. But then, since he filled some bags with beads, how would he ever think it might not be seen as an inside job?

Good gracious that was stupid!

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ballistic bag of halves? Please, Ill take a ballistic bag of Ike dollars....

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder just how many SILVER quarters were in that $250K haul. With all of our CRH experiences, I would guess only 4, if that high. Haha.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course there are exceptions. I once lived in an area where there was a main bank with over hundred of branches. It has its own building/vault with counting and rerolling capability. My strategy was dumping to this bank and buying coins from other banks.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to get a ballistic bag of halves a week

My luck, I'd get a ballistic bag to search and it would be 100% 2014's left over that the mint couldn't sell for profit, haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread