Calling on Culvert Prospectors

afreakofnature

Nov 16, 2010
I have never tried mining culverts but after locating a few this summer, I thought I might give it i a go. It would be pretty easy to clean out one when it is dry, but most of these that I have found still have running water, some running quite good. For those that do culvert mine, what tools should I bring along for both wet and dry and can you give me some good tips on mining them. I am sure that I will figure out more as I start but would like to have a good arsenal in my pack on the first couple runs. For example I thought a good suction tube would be a start. I would love to hear both motorized (like vac-pac) and un-motorized (tablespoon scoop) suggestions. Those were just a couple I found researching.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

UTAvalanche

Oct 30, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never tried mining culverts but after locating a few this summer, I thought I might give it i a go. It would be pretty easy to clean out one when it is dry, but most of these that I have found still have running water, some running quite good. For those that do culvert mine, what tools should I bring along for both wet and dry and can you give me some good tips on mining them. I am sure that I will figure out more as I start but would like to have a good arsenal in my pack on the first couple runs. For example I thought a good suction tube would be a start. I would love to hear both motorized (like vac-pac) and un-motorized (tablespoon scoop) suggestions. Those were just a couple I found researching.

Thank you!

I’m no expert on this but I do like to hit any I come across and I have about a half a dozen that I hit each summer. Here is how I like to do it.

I Like to use a hand dredge with a 90 degree elbow that I can put different size nozzles in depending on the width of the corrugations. With this I can get right above the bottom of the corrugation. I have different length body tubes so that I can reach in 5’, 3’, or if on my knees 2’. I also have a set of nozzles for this that are from 1” to 1/2” diameter and cut to about 3 inches in length for the small culverts. The hand dredge needs a little water left in the culvert. If it’s dry I carry 10 gallons of water to wet the soil. Pour just enough in the groove so you can stir into a slurry with a nozzle. Then suck it out. I cut a 3/4” nozzle at about 45 degrees and use that sharp tip to scrape down to the bottom of the groove and loosen any hard packed soil or gold stuck to the bottom before sucking up.

On some of them the water has undermined under the front of the culvert so don’t overlook that area.

In the one I can walk into, the bottoms of many of the corrugations have rusted through and the gold drops through the holes. I hit this while there is still a little water in it as the dredge works very well in working the different size holes with different size nozzles. I have to use longer nozzles for these. Work these as deep as you can because the material has been building up for years.

Be careful if crawling in. Around here that is a favorite place for critters to make their home. Especially spiders, coons and skunks. All can get nasty. Usually I only work the 1st 3 - 5 feet and I can reach that with the sucker without crawling in.

My small hand dredge and a few of the attachments. Handy tools.

Hand Dredge.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread