Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody! I wasn't sure if I wanted to put this up in the gold prospecting forum or MD. Anyways, I have a 4 day weekend this weekend for Columbus Day. I plan on using that 4 day to go camping,prospecting, but mostly nugget shooting, in NE Georgia. I don't mind going by myself, but figured it would be cool if somebody wanted to come give it a go with me. I figured it would be easy for anyone in the immediate area, but if you want to come from further, that's fine. I'm by NO means an expert.. matter of fact, in a beginning beginner. So who knows how it'll turn out...but I'll be running the GM 1000 and be crossing my fingers. I'm heading that way from Columbus, GA/Phenix City, AL. as soon as I get out of work in Thursday. Heading to the Chatahoochie Ntl. Forest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could, I'm usually always up for an adventure(when i can)! But I have family coming from out of town.

Hope to see a follow up of how it goes!!! I've been here for about 3 years now and still haven't been up that way exploring!!!!:laughing7:

Good luck!!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you better keep the detector hidden away if you're going to a national forest. Either that, or lose it and the car you're riding in. I don't believe it's legal there. Check they're website to verify.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you better keep the detector hidden away if you're going to a national forest. Either that, or lose it and the car you're riding in. I don't believe it's legal there. Check they're website to verify.

Good point! I didn't even think about that when I read the post! I don't know if they are allowed in any National forest?

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know about Georgia specifically, but metal detecting for gold at least is legal out west in National Forests. Out here you just need to know what is claimed so you aren't trespassing on somebodies mineral rights. Relics are a different story. Antiquities act makes relics more than 50 years old illegal to dig up and keep. Dennis

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up the laws for prospecting and metal detecting in the national forests and even printed out federal law citations to have on hand. I just can't cause "dramatic ground disturbance", use "hand trowels only", and not be on any historic or archeological sites.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Out West" at least, detectors are ok under most circumstances for prospecting in "National Forests". They are however prohibited in "National PARKS" (note the distinction" nationwide as far as I know. It is never a good idea to seek and keep relics found on any Federal land due to the antiquities laws.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread