Camas plants

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think this plant is only found in the Pacific Northwest West --- Oregon, Washington and Idaho --- and it was a staple in the diet of the Native people that lived in the area. The bulb is eatable, and were dug, crushed, then baked in an in the ground oven. Lewis and Clark reported that they were in starving condition when they entered Nez Perce country, and they were fed Camas by those people, which saved their lives. The flower is blue, however there is a white Camas flower that looks the same, and it has the name of "Death Camas." The reason the white plants are called that is because they are poison, and it is very possible you will die if you eat that bulb. When the bulbs are being dug, there are no flowers, so it's best if you have the location where you are going to dig planned out well ahead of time. These flowers were so common in pioneer days, that there are reports of valleys looking like lakes from the blue flowers. The settlers hogs ate the bulbs, which created friction between races, and that along with other farming factors has really reduced the number of these flowers from what they were in the past.
camas.jpg
camas3.jpg
camas6.jpg
camas8.jpg

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting plant & post BosnMate.:icon_thumleft: Thanks for sharing it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time changes everything.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
There is a huge field of these about five miles east of Burns, OR. Looks like what you mentioned about looking like a blue lake. I used to see it when I was driving a truck, and wanted to take a picture, but it's a two lane road with no shoulder to pull over and stop.

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful flower.
Thank you for the history lesson, I enjoy those posts the most.

Engine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions