Camera

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Does anyone have a suggestion on a camera that wont cost an arm and a leg to photograph my finds to post on this forum. and catalog of course.

I would like to treat myself to a nice Christmas's gift but have a limited budget.

The cameras we have floating around the house are nice but not getting the job done to my satisfaction.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mojo

Upvote 0

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
the one i use is old as the hills but i like it and it gets the job done. it takes photos to a disc. i then put the disc in and upload from there, i like it because it takes the required size photo and i don't have to resize. about the only place you might find one like this would be on ebay (or fee bay). they should be pretty cheap because almost no one i know uses a cameara like this anymore.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cameras are getting pretty good these days, you may be able to get a used one that is good enough off Craigslist, ebay, or some other such site as well.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Someone had mentioned a certain brand or subset within a brand with a super duper nifty micro feature for AWESOME coin closeups. I can't remember which one was it was.... but DEF keep an eye out for that feature! =)

~Dave

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use pretty expensive camera for my closeups, but if you want something for great closeups just for coins (as you already have other digital cameras for other stuff) I say get a scanner for your computer. They are relitivley cheap and can give you a lot of closeup detail, just a thought.

On your cameras that you already own, are you using them on the correct setting for taking closeups? On mine its a leaf icon. Try the ones you already have, you might just be able to save some money. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
TreasureFiend said:
I use pretty expensive camera for my closeups, but if you want something for great closeups just for coins (as you already have other digital cameras for other stuff) I say get a scanner for your computer. They are relitivley cheap and can give you a lot of closeup detail, just a thought.

On your cameras that you already own, are you using them on the correct setting for taking closeups? On mine its a leaf icon. Try the ones you already have, you might just be able to save some money. :thumbsup:

Will do thanks for the info :thumbsup:

BBcardsRI said:
Someone had mentioned a certain brand or subset within a brand with a super duper nifty micro feature for AWESOME coin closeups. I can't remember which one was it was.... but DEF keep an eye out for that feature! =)

~Dave

Yea I seem to remember something like that .... Was it a coolpix 7 megapixel or something or the other?

Mojo

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally use a Nikon Coolpix P3...8.1 megapixels. It's a couple years old now, but seems to work pretty well for closeups as well as for a regular camera.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
I like the Sony T series.
I have had a T-200 for over a year now and love it.
indexCA5QR0ZW.jpg
indexCAO9XG8Y.jpg
The latest is the T-700 I think :icon_scratch: They keep making new ones :P . If you can find a used T-200 it should be cheaper
DSC-T200 (September 2007, 3.5" touch panel LCD, 8.1 megapixel, 5x optical zoom)
DSC-T300 (March 2008, 3.5" touch panel LCD, 10.1 megapixel, 5x optical zoom)
DSC-T500 (October 2008, 3.5" touch panel LCD, 10.1 megapixel, 5x optical zoom, 720p HD Movies)
DSC-T700 (September 2008, 3.5" touch panel LCD, 4 GB internal memory , 10.1 megapixel, 4x optical zoom)
The Sony cameras have magnifying glass mode, a sort of zoomed macro mode.
Great for close up shots.

Here is a post with pics.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,119168.0.html

HH,
Donny

Let me know if you want to see some more pics or just check some of my posts.

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
djabend said:
I like the Sony T series.
I have had a T-200 for over a year now and love it.

The latest is the T-700 I think :icon_scratch: They keep making new ones :P . If you can find a used T-200 it should be cheaper
DSC-T200 (September 2007, 3.5" touch panel LCD, 8.1 megapixel, 5x optical zoom)
DSC-T300 (March 2008, 3.5" touch panel LCD, 10.1 megapixel, 5x optical zoom)
DSC-T500 (October 2008, 3.5" touch panel LCD, 10.1 megapixel, 5x optical zoom, 720p HD Movies)
DSC-T700 (September 2008, 3.5" touch panel LCD, 4 GB internal memory , 10.1 megapixel, 4x optical zoom)
The Sony cameras have magnifying glass mode, a sort of zoomed macro mode.
Great for close up shots.

Here is a post with pics.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,119168.0.html

HH,
Donny

Let me know if you want to see some more pics or just check some of my posts.

Thanks Donny Great camera.

Mojo

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
I have the Sony T-200. It has a great macro lens for those closeup shots. I would highly recommend it.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
About 5 years ago I bought a digital camera, and it works great for me. I saw one recently brand new in a store for under $50. It took me some time to learn about the micro feature, but I have it down pat now.

It is a Cannon Powershot A520 with 4.0 megapixels. Ill attach some photos to show you the detail I get with it. Yes, they all happen to be finds, I dont take close ups of much else.

Hope this helps,
Anthony

Attachments

• whopper6.JPG
    whopper6.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 134
  • classy.JPG
    classy.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 143
  • pirate1.JPG
    pirate1.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 145