Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went over and camped near Moab UT this week and looked for snakes and never found one, even though they're there. Lots of lizards around though, and some pretty good sized. Kinda leading you on a little now, cause most of these pics were taken at Moab Giants, an outdoor interpretive walking trail that you pay to go look at life size reproductions of dinosaurs. I'm not much for tourist attractions, but a buddy of mine has a little boy who's really into dinosaurs, so I went to take pics for him. Actually, kinda cool.

Attachments

• 5-24hh.jpg
    5-24hh.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 5-25aa.jpg
    5-25aa.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 5-25ll.jpg
    5-25ll.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 5-25mm.jpg
    5-25mm.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 5-25qq.jpg
    5-25qq.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 52

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never herd of this dinosaur place. I like going to the rock shop on the north end of Moab when I go through town.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dinosaur place is relatively new. It's on the corner where you would turn to go to Dead Horse Point state park or Canyonlands NP. I stopped at Lin Ottinger's rock shop on the north side of Moab for the first time the other day. I was lookin for workable material which he didn't have much of, but man that guy is big on fossils, and he had some good ones. I determined that the chunk of petrified wood I got layin around in the back of the truck is probably worth about $300, according to his prices and if I could find somebody to buy it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever made a trip to Florissant Fossil Beds Park? There you'll see giant Sequoia tree stumps that once grew in Colorado that got buried in very fine volcanic ash. That fine ash also pushed​ insects in an ancient lake and fossilized them. It's really an interesting place.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florissant was one of the first places I went when I came to Colorado. Haven't been back, but I'd like to go down there again and dig for fossils. In my university Geology class we went on a field trip down to the Arbuckles along I-35 and dug for fossils. I found quite a few trilobites and bunches of fossilized coral, which I thought was pretty cool.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't stopped the fossil beds in a while either. I drive by it when I head to Cripple Creek every once in awhile. I should maybe stop for pictures?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dinosaur place is relatively new. It's on the corner where you would turn to go to Dead Horse Point state park or Canyonlands NP. I stopped at Lin Ottinger's rock shop on the north side of Moab for the first time the other day. I was lookin for workable material which he didn't have much of, but man that guy is big on fossils, and he had some good ones. I determined that the chunk of petrified wood I got layin around in the back of the truck is probably worth about $300, according to his prices and if I could find somebody to buy it.

How big is your chunk of petrified wood? I have a piece that I found many years ago. It's about a 10"s long and 6"s in diameter. If I can find it I will post a picture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread