SemperSweep

SemperSweep

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Mackaydon said:
Welcome to Treasure Net.
I'm in the area, what tips are you looking for?
Don.....

Looking to hit DeMar Beach tomorrow. Where do you recommend I start?

Time? Part of the beach? Etc.....

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you have better luck than I did at South Ponto in Carlsbad. Cleanest beach I've ever seen....3 hrs and the only noise was a hit on a piece of fishing leader. I had to keep tossing coins out just to make sure my detector was still working. I've never tried DelMar...does it see a lot of traffic in good weather? That's the key...you need a beach that's always packed when it's "beach weather". I used to do pretty well at Santa Monica beach, right near the pier where everyone goes during the day...I'd hit it at night or very early morning.

OP
OP
SemperSweep

SemperSweep

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Phanntom said:
I hope you have better luck than I did at South Ponto in Carlsbad. Cleanest beach I've ever seen....3 hrs and the only noise was a hit on a piece of fishing leader. I had to keep tossing coins out just to make sure my detector was still working. I've never tried DelMar...does it see a lot of traffic in good weather? That's the key...you need a beach that's always packed when it's "beach weather". I used to do pretty well at Santa Monica beach, right near the pier where everyone goes during the day...I'd hit it at night or very early morning.

I don't know how packed it is, it's convenient for me because its located on base and I reside on base. Hopefully I'll have some luck tomorrow. Any suggestions on where to start. Like I said, totally new. Zero experience on the beach.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
welcome to Tnet! I was born at Pendleton. I remember when they first put I 5 in. Hope you find lots of goodies

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The sand on Southern California beaches is periodically replenished by offshore or inland dredging operations (to keep the tourists happy). If you find nothing, that could easily indicate recent replenishing. You'll soon see you are not the only TH-er in the area--especially on warm days like we've currently experiencing.
A hint: Take a day to research where the crowd sits, then return either later in the day or early in the AM to that same spot. Hunt the paths to the beaches (the hillside at Carlsbad west of the 'free' parking lot at Carlsbad Village Drive). Hunt the areas in and around the sand volley ball courts--especially where personal effects are placed--or behind 'open' benches. Beyond all that, just enjoy the experience of out there swinging !!
Don.......

OP
OP
SemperSweep

SemperSweep

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Mackaydon said:
The sand on Southern California beaches is periodically replenished by offshore or inland dredging operations (to keep the tourists happy). If you find nothing, that could easily indicate recent replenishing. You'll soon see you are not the only TH-er in the area--especially on warm days like we've currently experiencing.
A hint: Take a day to research where the crowd sits, then return either later in the day or early in the AM to that same spot. Hunt the paths to the beaches (the hillside at Carlsbad west of the 'free' parking lot at Carlsbad Village Drive). Hunt the areas in and around the sand volley ball courts--especially where personal effects are placed--or behind 'open' benches. Beyond all that, just enjoy the experience of out there swinging !!
Don.......

Don, you were spot on. Very slow going but I scored my first silver charm. I small heart charm made for a child. It went through my sifter but I knew from the sound of my machine it was something good. Used my pinpointer. Took your tip about checking the back of chairs.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I doubt the base, itself, has been MD-ed extensively; yet it has been there for 70 years. Countless hundreds of thousand have lived on the base. You may wish to research where the living quarters, 'canteen', PX (or BX), baseball diamonds (and bleachers) etc. were during the 40s, 50s and 60s then search those areas. Good Hunting !!
Don....

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were replentishing sand north of where the tidal basin flows into the sea but there was still a good cut south of that...about 5 or 6ft from the cut down to the low tide mark, and more from the ledge with all the rocks in it built up by heavy seas. I worked the volleyball courts thoroughly...that's where I found the piece of wire leader. I'm going to give it another shot but I'm not expecting much. I think I'm going to check out some parks around Escondido and maybe over to Jullian and Ramona.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Check those beaches on the base where your fellow Marines and their families go. I doubt you'll have much luck with your Ace250 in the wet sand but the dry sand should be pretty good unless you have a bunch of other detectorists doing the same area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread