Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camped up on the rim yesterday. My goodness, 96 degrees here yesterday afternoon, which is hot for me. Saw a lot of flakes in the canyon and one nice preform. Several federales cruising by my campsite, USFS and BLM. I was the only one out there, and I guess they were watching to see if I had a campfire, but never did because of the burn ban. Heard a bear down in the canyon late in the evening and saw a comet in the northeast about 4 this morning. A strange place in a field west of La Garita. Several stone structures and a monument. Think it's recent and no idea what it means. Maybe related to the Penitentes.

Attachments

• 7-8n.jpg
    7-8n.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 7-8l.jpg
    7-8l.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 7-8k.jpg
    7-8k.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 7-8b.jpg
    7-8b.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 7-8c.jpg
    7-8c.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 36

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big open country. Nice. Just read about that comet, Neowise, and I'm looking forward to seeing it. It will be visible after sundown for most of July, as it slowly climbs above the horizon each night, near the Big Dipper. Supposed to get brighter over the next two weeks. Cool.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool your the only one around. I smoke rising out of campsite on Cottonwood. I wonder if they knew of the fire ban?

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandpa always tells me when we’re in wide open spaces “Look at that it’s bigger then Israel”

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool your the only one around. I smoke rising out of campsite on Cottonwood. I wonder if they knew of the fire ban?
I think TR in that area you can have them in fire rings in established campgrounds, but if they were dispersed camping not allowed. Different regs in every area though. Maybe they'll burn us out and get our minds off that virus thing for a while, haha!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great place to spend some quite time. :icon_thumleft:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think TR in that area you can have them in fire rings in established campgrounds, but if they were dispersed camping not allowed. Different regs in every area though. Maybe they'll burn us out and get our minds off that virus thing for a while, haha!
Oh, I was seeing those light up highway billboards here and there saying fire ban or something like that. I was wondering though if you had a fire ring if that would be considered a contained camp fire. Its a sad camp with no fire to light up the camp site. Never heard of witches canyon before. Sounds a Hardy Boys adventure. The mountain towns are all about wearing your mask. Down here it's what ever. :dontknow:

Last edited:

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been out to that place before when I lived down there. There was a lot of funny things going on in the Valley at that time and I was a little spooked to camp there. Our good friends had there straw bale house burned down. (They think the neighbors didn't like them.) We camped at Ute spring above Saguache. Nothing up there but scenery. Got up early to go to Russell Lakes but they are closed till the 15th because of the birds. I got a good picture of the sunrise looking towards where you were. It was chilly when we got up. Your pictures always makes me miss it. IMG_20200709_054938467.jpg

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so nice.
We get to enjoy the finds without experiencing the heat. Really does sound like very enjoyable camping, in the evening anyway!

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a kind of spooky place digginthe1, but I've never had any problems in the area yet. I always look like I'm some old guy from around there, and speak better Spanish than the locals do, if they speak it at all. I think a lot of meanness still goes on down there, but what happens in SLV stays in SLV. I have noticed a lot more federal people patrolling and hanging around that area. One good thing about Witches Canyon, it looks like very rugged country and is,but there's so many trails around it's easy hiking. Unless you're like me, and take straight off across the country. Can be a little difficult. Remember, always easier going up than coming down, for some reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread