can an ace 250 be used in the sand at low tide.... personal experience please.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I understand it's not a saltwater machine and it's got all the limitations but I'm curious if it will be possible to hunt with my 250 with my small 5x8 dd coil. Anyone ever try it. I've seen videos of people doing it on YouTube and curious if the smaller dd will help.

I live in Ohio and go on vacation once or twice a year so I'm not looking for beach detector selections. Only looking for anyone with first half experience or seen the 250 first hand at the beach.

Any suggestions (beside another detector)

Upvote 0

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's what I'm expecting. Any words of advise.
just go out and have good time. Keep the coil slow and low and you will do fine. I found lead weights at 10 inches in the wet stuff with the 350. good luck spring break is here so the dry sand may be the place to hunt.

OP
OP
F

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Yep I didn't realize that until the other week. Hahaha time to cash in on the college kids.

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's what I'm expecting. Any words of advise.
also forgot to say hunt with headphones if you have them the beach is a loud place and some sounds do not show on the sceen you just hear them.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on if you have black sand ie iron in the sand...some have a little, some a lot..It will go crazy in black sand even with sensitively turned to 1..

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Do you have first hand experience with a 250 at the beach.
Yes I have tons of ACE Beach experience - I explain to ACE users almost every day why their machines are continually beeping and no matter how much the dig they aren't finding anything.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
The ACE does not suck at all, and any have found great things with it, but it is not made for and will not perform well in wet sand ......especially salt water sand.
Dry Sand, Dirt ...... It is an AMAZING machine for the price

OP
OP
F

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Well first day out went at low tide and was even in the water. Had my 13x14 dd coil and sensitivity 6 out of 8 only discrimination was iron. I would get one false beep about ever 15 sweeps sweep over disappear and kept going. So far awesome in the wet sand and water. Thought salt water was bad with the 250 hahaha.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bury a gold ring 8 - 10 inches deep in wet salt sand with piece of fishing line on it and see if your detector can see it.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace will NOT work in black sand..

OP
OP
F

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I pushed my carbide ring about 4" deep because I was worried about that and it did see it. No black sand here

OP
OP
F

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Not going to say it will be anywhere near as deep or sensitive as a PI but I was expecting falling to the point of not using it but where I am I was surprised to say the absolute least at how well its working

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet its the DD coil that makes it usable in the wet sand...I think the DD coil on the AT PRO is the reason it works good for me in the salt environment...glad the ACE is working for you, now find some gold. :icon_thumleft:

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used the Ace 250 extensively on saltwater beaches of the Pacific NW - with no problem. There is plenty of magnetite in the soil - depth is not going to be terrific but it works fine.

OP
OP
F

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
So just an update I was at the beach for a few hours dry sand and a few passes in the water..

Don't know what was going on but I had the two notches to the left of Nickle discriminated and sensitivity was 6 out of 8. I was not getting any falling except the one beep every great while or when I hit the ground. I dug a penny about 7“ deep while my coil was in about 3" of water.

Don't know what to think unless I find some gold jewelry then I will be a believer but I'm not holding my breath

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every beach is different but if falsing occurs it is going to be where black sand (magnetite) has collected, not so much where it is homogeneously distributed. The beaches I've hunted had plenty of black sand and the Ace 250 just hummed along. Since its 6.5 kHz (fairly low freq) it isn't particularly upset by iron/minerals as far as falsing. However, you will not get the depth of say an E-Trac, which is designed for mineralized soil. Even so, I could get coins to 5-6" along the mineralized beach and 7-8" in parks. Make sure you are using headphones, keep DISC to a minimum, and keep the sensitivity as high as possible.

You will find most rings - assuming they are there to find. If your mindset is that you'll never succeed then you won't.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience is that it is VERY upset in wet black sand and I don't care what your settings are..it's not going to help!

OP
OP
F

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Yeah no black sand here. Question though how far into the water is best to look for rings I've been going at low tide and going along the water edge and the first couple feet of water when the waves come in

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good..I am only able to go during mid day, so I go about waist deep because that's where people usually stand and play..I should say though that the 250 is really best in dry sand..
This is a great coin machine!

Last edited:

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Listen, I have beaches here on the East coast of FL where the wet sand is great and maybe an ACE could do well in it. I can run my Whites M6 all day at high sensitivity and it will hardly false. The whole this is mineralization. There are other beaches only miles from the easy ones where my Whites MXT Pro in the beach/salt mode will drive you nuts all day long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread