Can anybody idenify this item

rfloyd5

Apr 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
New to the forums. Last night my son and I went out metal detecting and found our first item. We have no clue what it is. I included to pictures of front and back, and a penny to give an idea of the size of the item.

Thank you.

IMG_3137.PNG IMG_3138.PNG

Upvote 2

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The second pic, at the top, looks like it could be a mount of some kind, like hanging a picture, or something to a wall....like a bracket of some sort...dunno...

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a cleat off the bottom of a mountain bike shoe. That cleat is bolted to the bottom of the shoe, right at the ball of the feet. The bike pedals have spring loaded locks that that cleat locks (or "clips") into. You twist your feet into them and they are literally then attached to the pedals. A twist of the heel back out is supposed to pop you feet back off the pedals. This is Shimano's style and there are several other brands with different styles out there. Probably came loose and fell off the shoe while the cyclist was riding or walking ( more likely) or fell out of their pocket. It is modern.

The first couple of times I used them, I ended up on the ground when I tried to dismount the bike!

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I love about this forum. You can take the strangest items found and put them on this forum and within no time somebody usually can identify the item. That's awesome "Jayers" to identify that so quickly. I always learn something new and pick out great tips from other folks.

OP
OP
R

rfloyd5

Apr 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much. I do see mountain bikers out in this part of the woods all the time. It was a thrill to have found something. Can't wait for my next find.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a cleat off the bottom of a mountain bike shoe. That cleat is bolted to the bottom of the shoe, right at the ball of the feet. The bike pedals have spring loaded locks that that cleat locks (or "clips") into. You twist your feet into them and they are literally then attached to the pedals. A twist of the heel back out is supposed to pop you feet back off the pedals. This is Shimano's style and there are several other brands with different styles out there. Probably came loose and fell off the shoe while the cyclist was riding or walking ( more likely) or fell out of their pocket. It is modern.

The first couple of times I used them, I ended up on the ground when I tried to dismount the bike!

Beat me to it, I recognized it immediately. If you don't bike and use SPD pedals then you would never know what it was.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yup. That's what it is. Have 5 sets in my garage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread